How Can I find my IP address? It probably is one of the most commonly asked questions on the Internet. Before telling you where you can find your IP address, it is important to point out that there are two kinds of IP addresses. Your Public IP address and your private IP address. Each of these two IP addresses serves a different purpose and can also be find using different methods. The following guide has all the info related to ‘Where Can I Get my IP address?’
How to Get Public IP Address?
Your public IP address is your external IP address assigned to you by your ISP (Internet service provider). Internet-connected devices use public IP addresses to communicated with other devices on the wide area network (WAN) Internet connection. Consequently, you can find your public IP address by using our free IP Look up tool.
Furthermore, he public IP lookup tool allows you to get the following relevant info as well.
- Firstly, you will get your public IP address.
- Next, you can find to what location that IP address corresponds to (city and state).
- In the fourth row, you can find the name of your ISP.
- The type of web browser you are currently using is listed beneath that.
- Finally, you can check the operating system (Windows, OS X, Linux) you are using, too.
In case you want to share the IP address lookup result with others, click on ‘Copy Result Link‘. Alternatively, you can check whether your ISP is using transparent proxies to intercept your traffic, click on ‘Check Proxy’.
Where Can I Find My Private IP Address?
Your private IP address, on the other hand, is issued to your device by your router. Devices need private IP addresses to communicate with each other in a local area network (LAN), such as your household. All your devices at home share the same public IP address. However, your router will assign each device a different private IP address. Private IP addresses are usually within the following ranges.
- 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
- 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
- 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
If your router’s IP address is 192.168.0.1, for instances, your PC’s IP address might be 192.168.0.2. To find your Windows PC private IP address, follow these steps:
- First of all, open up the program “Command Prompt”.
- Then, type “ipconfig” without the quotes and press enter.
- The IP address next to ‘IPv4 Address’ is your PC’s private IP address.
- Your router’s IP address is also listed next to ‘Default Gateway’.
If you own a Apple Mac, follow these instructions to get your private IP address instead.
- First, open System Preferences.
- Then, go to Network.
- Click Advanced after that.
- Finally, the IPv4 IP address is your Mac’s private IP address.
- The IP address next to ‘Router’ is your router’s IP address.
How Can I Get My IP Address?
This is basically all the info and instructions you need on how to find your public IP address and get your private IP address. If you want to get more info about a website you are visiting, use our free WHOIS IP lookup tool.