With British Virgin Islands jurisdiction, ExpressVPN possesses one of the best locations of the market privacy-wise, with no data retention laws. It is a highly effective and efficient brand that is known for its content protection and unblocking prowess. It is not among the cheapest companies out there, but for $12.95 per month (plus some enticing discounts for longer-term plans) it is worth the price, considering the quality of the features.
ExpressVPN has one of the biggest networks seen in a VPN brand, with over one thousand servers in 160 locations (94 countries) around the globe. Additionally, it boasts high speeds and security features such as DNS leak protection, a kill switch, OpenVPN availability, split tunneling, and more. The customer service staff is friendly and collaborative, with extensive guides, manuals, videos, and tutorials. For more immediate inquiries, users can take advantage of a highly active live chat feature.
- 160 server locations: ExpressVPN has a broad network of more than a thousand servers in 160 total areas, including 94 nations. It has servers in remote places such as Egypt or Kenya, for example. The brand offers unlimited server switching.
- Speed Test: There are several tools to measure the rates of your VPN provider. However, ExpressVPN has a built-in speed test feature that will ensure users select the fastest option available for their network.
- Media Streamer SmartDNS: ExpressVPN has a tool named the Media Streamer SmartDNS, ideal for people interested in watching and unblocking geo-restricted content around the globe. Your real IP address will be registered, though.
- Split tunneling: Users get to choose which traffic they want to encrypt and which one they don’t thanks to the split tunneling service.
- AES 256-bit encryption: Users’ content is safe thanks to the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, coupled with RSA-4096 handshake and SHA-512 HMAC authentication.
- Zero-knowledge DNS: Instead of having to use encrypted DNS of third parties, ExpressVPN has its own Zero-Knowledge DNS, which allows it to run its private DNS on every server.
- Full Netflix compatibility: ExpressVPN is one of the few VPN brands that hasn’t been a victim of Netflix witch hunt and the resulting “proxy error.” The company works perfectly fine as an unblocking resource to watch movies and series in the world’s premier streaming platform.
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: While other brands disallow or discourage torrenting (including some of the so-called “elite” ones,) ExpressVPN allows full P2P file-sharing activity.
- Three simultaneous connections: While other VPNs offer five, six, ten, or even an unlimited number of simultaneous connections, ExpressVPN has three. It isn’t elite, but it comes in handy!
- 30-day money-back guarantee: If the user doesn’t feel satisfied with the service after a month, he/she can apply to a full refund through a no-hassle 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN’s interface is smooth. It is slick, well-designed, and easy to install and use in every app, including desktop and mobile devices. The website is also very specific and straightforward when it comes to menus, links, and services offered.
To sign up for the service, you will see a big red button all over the page that says “Get Started.” You only need an email address and a payment method to complete registration successfully. After that, you will receive an email confirmation and a password.
The brand’s software is neat and straightforward. You can navigate it easily, selecting your preferred configurations and finding the list of available servers and protocols for your platform or device.
ExpressVPN has dedicated mobile apps for iOS and Android, and a very good Windows client. It also works swiftly with Linux and Mac. The browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Safari are also useful.
iPhone and iPad users can enjoy an excellent app, compatible with iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE; iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, and the iPad Mini 4.
After tapping the can’t-miss big button, your connection will be encrypted. You can choose your location just under the button, with the system recommending a “smart” location. OpenVPN UDP, TCP, IKEv2, and IPSec are available in the iOS client.
The ExpressVPN Android app can be used in the Pie, Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, and Lollipop releases, with secure APK files for Android 9, Android 8, Android 7, Android 6 and Android 5. It comes with all the features offered in other platforms.
The company also offers a very easy-to-use and dedicated Windows client, which can run on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows RT. It comes with default OpenVPN protocol, and features such as split tunneling, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, live chat, and servers in 94 countries.
Privacy and security
“We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user. We work entirely on the basis of shared IPs, meaning that a single IP does not track back to an individual user,” the company states.
The brand is clear by saying that “we record aggregate data-transfer amounts and choice of server location, neither of which are data points that can identify a specific user as part of an investigation. We may collect the following information: dates (not times) when connected to our service, choice of server location, and the total amount of data transferred per day.”
By keeping its operational base or jurisdiction in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN has a privileged location for privacy. That, coupled with top-notch AES 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, guarantee effective content protection.
ExpressVPN is one of the companies with the biggest networks in the industry: the company does not specify the exact number of servers, but it states that they are in 160 cities in 94 nations.
The brand covers the usual locations in the field: the United States, the United Kingdom (and other key European location such as the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, and Italy, just to name a few), Canada, Australia, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, Hong Kong, and India.
It also has servers in places that most VPNs can’t cover, including Egypt, Kenya, Nepal, Laos, Bangladesh, Brunei, Russia, Venezuela, Bahamas, and others.
US servers are in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New Jersey, New York, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Monica, Seattle, Tampa, Virginia, and Washington DC. UK servers are in Berkshire, Docklands, East London, Kent, London, and Wembley.
One of the most enticing aspects of ExpressVPN is its high compatibility. You can install it without issues on the vast majority of operating systems, platforms, and devices developed by now.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS, with additional compatibility with routers, consoles, Chromebook, Windows phones, Apple TV, Fire TV, Smart TV, PlayStation, Android TV box, and Blackberry. The service also has extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Installation and Setup
Installation is extremely smooth. First, you need to select your chosen plan. After that, you will be prompted to enter your email address, and then, you will need to provide a valid payment method.
You will then download the appropriate client or app for your device and proceed with the installation. The desktop client and the mobile apps are very manageable: users get to choose their preferred protocol, with the option of a more automated setup (in which location is automatically picked after hitting the “Connect” button) also available.
Protocols are the technologies behind VPN encryption. There are several protocols available in the VPN market, each with its advantages and drawbacks. OpenVPN is the best and most secure, while L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and IKEv2 are also solid alternatives.
ExpressVPN has all of the previously mentioned options at hand. It offers both versions of the OpenVPN protocol (TCP and UDP,) IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and the now obsolete PP2P (the father of all protocols.)
Pricing and Payment Options
Sure, ExpressVPN has a lot of offerings and exciting features. However, it does come with a price, and it is among the most expensive in the industry. The company’s monthly service is $12.95.
The longer term plans are cheaper. If you want to hire the service for six months, you will pay the equivalent of $9.99 per month, provided in a single payment of $59.95. The annual version of ExpressVPN represents the best value, though.
For a yearly service, customers would end up paying $99.95, or the equivalent of $8.32 per month. It would be an attractive 35% discount when compared to the monthly bill.
Here are the accepted payment methods:
- Master Card
- American Express
- Diners Club International
- Web Money
- Union Pay
- Carte Bleue
- Interac Online
Help and Support
ExpressVPN has a fantastic customer support staff, ready to help at any time. There are several channels of aid, including email, a contact form, guides, tutorials, videos, manuals, and a live chat feature.
- Email: A basic, but efficient support method. In the specific case of ExpressVPN, it is not its strongest suit since it takes a while to respond and the message usually ends up in the Junk Email folder.
- Troubleshooting guides: They are lengthy and very helpful if you want to determine the cause and solution of specific issues such as slow speeds or a connection fail. They explain how to fix certain things, change passwords, and other elements.
- Live chat: The live chat feature is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It represents the fastest and most efficient way to tackle a specific issue related to the ExpressVPN service.
- Setup articles: The “How to Setup” pieces are amazing. They provide all the information the user needs to start using ExpressVPN in all devices and platforms, with manual setups and tutorials on the latest versions.
- FAQ section: The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) are a shortcut to a more comprehensive type of customer support. Usually, it explains what you need to know without having to get in contact with the staff via email or chat.
Other VPN Providers:
ExpressVPN is among the top VPN providers in the business, but there are other reliable alternatives out there if you’re still a bit hesitant.
Pros in a nutshell:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- A no-logging policy
- A 30-day money-back guarantee
- Enticing discounts for long-term plans
- Plenty of payment methods
- A broad network of servers present in almost a hundred countries
- Very speedy servers
- Torrenting allowance
- Compatible with Netflix (including the American region)
- Several protocols available
- Highly compatible
- British Virgin Islands jurisdiction
Cons in a nutshell:
- No phone support
- Only three simultaneous connections
In conclusion, ExpressVPN’s pros far outweigh the cons, which are, quite frankly, hard to find. It is an excellent service that fulfills every requirement that a VPN user may have: high speeds and device compatibility, a wide array of protocols to choose from, a vast server network, Netflix and torrenting allowance, and strict no-logging policies.
ExpressVPN has no IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks while implementing the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption standard. The client and apps are straightforward to install and use, and the customer service is among the best in the business.
With numerous security features and offerings that include AES 256-bit encryption, OpenVPN (TCP and UDP,) a no-logging policy, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and a kill switch; not to mention high speeds, multiplatform compatibility and an excellent customer staff with a live chat feature, ExpressVPN is firmly among the top three VPN options in the industry.