NordVPN is a well-known VPN brand and one of the best in the business. It offers some impressive features like a vast server network, and a focused approach towards privacy and content protection that attracts users around the world. The company is based in Panama, where there are no data retention laws that terrorize Internet users. Coupled with a strict no-logging policy, NordVPN won’t keep any logs of people’s activities.
While the jury is still out regarding its speed (it is high-end on some servers and somewhat slow on others), NordVPN has one of the best security features in the market. It implements the double VPN feature for enhanced security, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and OpenVPN (among other protocols). Users can connect the service to six different devices at the same time under one account. it is also compatible with the vast majority of platforms and operating systems developed so far.
- Lots of servers: NordVPN has a vast network that includes over 5,400 servers spread across 60 nations around the world, with unlimited speeds, bandwidth, and server switching.
- CyberSec: The CyberSec is a feature that blocks suspicious sites to prevent malware or other threats from infecting your devices. It can block ads as well.
- Double VPN: NordVPN implements double VPN to add another layer of encryption to the user’s content. It hides the traffic behind two servers, not just one.
- Six simultaneous devices: While most of the elite options offer three or five simultaneous connection, NordVPN takes it one step further to provide six devices connected at the same time under the same account.
- AES 256-bit encryption: NordVPN implements the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, the gold standard of today’s VPNs.
- No-logging policy: With Panamanian jurisdiction and a strict no-logging policy, NordVPN won’t sell your data to third parties or hand them over to authorities upon request.
- Onion Over VPN: This unique NordVPN feature will combine the best of the TOR browser with the security prowess of a VPN. You will have privacy and anonymity!
- Torrenting allowed: While some brands discourage P2P activity, NordVPN is not one of them. The brand offers some specialized servers for torrenting.
- Kill Switch: In the event of a VPN connection loss, NordVPN will automatically activate a kill switch to disable Internet traffic and keep your device safe from any threat.
- DNS leak protection: DNS leaks won’t be a problem with this feature, which is a must-have for VPN services these days.
- SmartPlay: It allows users to access censorship-restricted or blocked websites. It acts as a VPN and a Smart DNS service combined: stability and speed, perfect ingredients for streaming or content unblocking.
- 30-day money-back guarantee: The refund process is smooth and has no tricks. if the person doesn’t like the service, he/she will get the money back in a couple of hours.
NordVPN interface is very user-friendly. It has an appealing and creative design for both apps and website, and the menus are easy to find. Everything is organized, and the page isn’t saturated with content.
After you launch the app and enter your credentials, the main interface will appear. Then, A map will show you NordVPN’s supported countries. But if you’d like the service to recommend the best server, simply press the power button.
NordVPN has excellent platform compatibility. It can run on Android, iOS, Windows, MacOs, and Linux, with browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. You can set up NordVPN on a maximum of six devices simultaneously.
The Android app is slick and attractive. It is well-designed, as well, with an excellent interface and the largest server collection, which means that users can connect to almost anywhere in the world.
The Android app has no leaks, tests positively when it comes to speed scores, has full Netflix compatibility and P2P allowance, and has a built-in ad and malware blocking feature.
The iOS app implements the IKEv2/IPSec protocol as default. It has specialty servers, such as P2P, Onion Over VPN, or Double VPN ones. It is also easy to use and light, with the “Quick Connect” feature that selects the best server.
Windows users can also enjoy a fantastic NordVPN client, with the whole six simultaneous connections, double-hop encryption, Onion over VPN, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. The options are very straightforward to configure in the app settings.
Privacy and Security
Privacy tests show that NordVPN apps don’t have leaking problems, with no IPv4, IPv6, DNS, or WebRTC undesirable events. The brand has DNS leak protection, ad and malware blocking, and a kill switch.
The logging policy states that NordVPN doesn’t record activity, and the Panama-based jurisdiction provides some peace of mind to users. NordVPN has been audited and tested, and always comes up clean.
The AES 256-bit encryption, among the strongest in the market, assures users that their traffic is well-protected from snoopers.
NordVPN users can enjoy one of the largest networks in the industry, with more than 5,400 servers in 60 nations around the world. No VPN brand has more servers than NordVPN, and very few of them allow subscribers to connect to more countries.
NordVPN has 1,844 servers in the United States alone. It also covers some of the most highly-sought countries, such as Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, South Korea, Russia, Brazil, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, India, and Romania.
NordVPN is compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, iOS (iPhone and iPad,) Android TV, and Linux, offering an impressive lineup of options to choose from. It also has browser extensions for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. You can install it on some routers, as well, including Tomato and DD-WRT.
Installation and Setup
NordVPN’s installation process is straightforward. First, you need to pick a payment method associated with a plan. To create a new account, enter your email address (it doesn’t even have to be your go-to address.)
Complete the payment, and after you get the notification that the transaction is complete, the client will automatically download to your device. Open the download and click on Install. That’s it!
NordVPN has several guides and tutorials about how to set up the service in specific operating systems and devices. Also, it offers a vast Knowledge Base.
NordVPN uses the gold standard of protocols, which is OpenVPN. It is an open-source project, and the safest of all options available in the encryption market. It also implements IKEv2, which is another top alternative.
iOS uses the IKEv2 protocol, while the Windows and Android applications use the OpenVPN protocol as default.
Pricing and Payment Options
If you judge NordVPN by its monthly cost, you would think it is one of the most expensive brands of the industry at $11.95, and it is. However, longer-term options of the service come cheaper.
The yearly plan costs $83.88 (the equivalent monthly price of $6.99.) There is also a two-year bundle that checks in at $95.75 (the prorated amount per 30 days is $3.99.) Users can also benefit from a three-year package for $107.55, or $2.99 per month.
The accepted payment methods are Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover, PayPal, Alipay, GiroPay, Bitcoin, SOFORT, and others.
Help and Support
NordVPN has a highly responsive customer support staff, and there are several options to solve your problems.
- Blog: NordVPN has a blog that covers things related to its services as well as other cybersecurity subjects.
- Knowledge Base: There are several articles available in the Knowledge Base. They are divided according to topic, which makes it easier for users to find.
- Live chat: The live chat feature is available 24 hours a day and is highly useful. In our experience, Harvey answered our question concisely and took less than 10 seconds to solve our problem.
- Setup articles: Every feature of NordVPN has a description, and every platform or operating system has a guide that explains the installation process step by step.
- FAQ section: The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) are very informative and serve as the first filter for users in need of a specific bit of data.
Pros in a nutshell:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- A kill switch and DNS leak protection
- No DNS, IPv4 or IPv6 leaks
- Double VPN feature
- Onion over VPN
- Torrenting allowance
- Compatible with Netflix
- Excellent jurisdiction
- More than 5,000 servers in 60 nations
- Live chat feature
- Money-back guarantee (30 days)
- Easy to use and user-friendly interface
Cons in a nutshell:
- No phone support
- There are three different amount of servers expressed in the website at different links
- Speeds can be somewhat inconsistent
Other VPN Providers
NordVPN is one of the best VPN providers in the industry. However, there are several other alternatives for you to consider in the table below.
In conclusion, NordVPN is comfortably in the top 10 VPNs in the industry. It is not the fastest (although speeds can be blazing depending on the server,) but is undoubtedly one of the most resourceful brands available for subscribers.
Content protection tools include a no-logging policy, Onion over VPN, CyberSec, double VPN, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. There are more than 5,400 servers in 60 nations, and the customer service staff is very helpful.
NordVPN checks nearly every box when it comes to the best VPN brands. It offers high security and privacy features, and allows full P2P file-sharing activity. And should you encounter any problems along the way, the customer service staff will be there to help 24/7.