The Philipines has one of the largest diaspora populations in the world. According to a survey published by the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) in 2013, over 10 million Filipinos live or work abroad, spanning over 100 countries. The USA is home to the highest Philippine population, with more than four million people of Filipino descent living there, followed by Saudi Arabia, Canada, and the UAE. People of the Philipines are very attached to their roots, and their expats are no different. They want to know the latest updates, news, and shows from back home. However, they face several online difficulties because several local websites are geo-blocked abroad. That is due to copyright or security reasons. Therefore, they need a Philippines IP address to bypass their local geo-restricted websites. And the only way to get one is with a virtual private network.
How to Get a Philippines IP Address Overseas Using a VPN
If you’re a Filipino expat, then I’m sure you’ve read a geo-error message at some point in your life. Trying to access ABS–CBN or Fox Sports Asia from outside the Philippines will result in something similar to this:
“Sorry. This video is unavailable in your location.”
What you need, my friend is a new and improved IP address because your current one is giving away your location. Web hosts like streaming channels and banking services can find out where you are through it. If they see that you are outside their coverage zone, they won’t let you in.
But with a Philippines IP address, you’ll appear as if you were inside the country, which means you’ll have access to every restricted website from your country.
How Does a VPN Work?
A virtual private network, also known as VPN, is a tool that redirects your internet connection through its network of secure servers. The process also includes encrypting your traffic and changing your IP address to match the location of the server you’re connected to.
In other words, If you connect to a server from the Philippines, your encrypted traffic will go through that server, and you’ll get a Philippines IP address. As a result, the World Wide Web will believe that you are a Philippine resident and you’ll be able to unblock any local website no matter where you are.
All you have to do is:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN service that has a presence in the Philippines. Few providers have servers in that country, and one of them is ExpressVPN. Therefore, I recommend you use it.
- After you create an account, download and install the VPN app on your device. You can either do it from the provider’s website or your device’s app store.
- Now, open the app, sign in, and connect to a server from the Philippines.
- Wait a few seconds till the connection is established then head over to the Philippine website you want to visit.
- Notice how the location error message has disappeared, which means you can access any restricted local service you want.
Benefits of a Philippines IP Address
Filipinos overseas simply must have a VPN on their devices. It is the only way they can keep track of all things happening in their country of origin. And even though they’ll mostly use their Philippines IP address to unblock websites and bypass restrictions, every other internet user can benefit from this numerical label to:
- Secure their online data and maintain their privacy: Top-quality VPNs offer reliablestrong encryption protocols that are extremely difficult to crack. This guarantees that your online activity remains anonymous and secure, and your online identity concealed.
- Access local streaming channels: Filipino expats are hooked on at least one local show. But they won’t be able to see the latest episodes because streaming channels are inaccessible from abroad. However, a Philippine IP address will trick these websites into thinking that they are inside their coverage area.
- Check local bank accounts: The Philippines IP address will also allow expats to make secure money transactions from all over the world. And since all their data is encrypted, their money is safe from hackers.
- Avoid censorship: You can change your IP address to bypass the censorship laws imposed by your government. That includes anything from social media apps to VoIP services like Skype, WhatsApp Call, or Viber.
- Learn the language: And last but not least, if you’re interested in learning the Filipino language, then the easiest and fastest way is to watch their local programs regularly. That should be quite easy with a Philippines IP address.
Best VPNs to Get a Philippine IP Address
Since not many VPN providers have servers inside the Philippines, your choices are somewhat a bit narrow. Only high-ranked brands offer services inside the country, which falls in your favor because I would never recommend free VPNs anyway.
The word ‘free’ might seem tempting, but you must never consider it when it comes to VPNs. These brands have to make money somehow, and that usually happens by selling your traffic. Also, they are very slow, unsafe, and offer poor encryption protocols.
Therefore, I suggest you choose one of the below services, which happen to be the best four VPNs on the market right now.
ExpressVPN is my number one choice and the one I’m currently using to bypass geographic restrictions. This service offers the strongest security and privacy features, including the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy. Furthermore, the company has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including the Philippines.
Also, ExpressVPN has apps for every major operating system, including iOS, MacOS, Android, Linux, and PC.
IPVanish is another solid pick you can consider. It is famous for the high levels of speed it provides for its users, in addition to top security features. The company also allows torrenting and P2P file-sharing activity, and it doesn’t store any of your data. And just like ExpressVPN, it has a server in the Philippines that allows you to switch to a Philippines IP address.
How to Get a Philippines IP Adress – Final Words
Filipino expats make up to around 11% of the total population in the Philippines. That is a very high number of citizens living abroad. If you are one of them, then you should know by now that you cannot stay in the dark with the latest developments from your home country. That is why a VPN is a must-have if you want to get a Philippines IP address and access all your local websites.
Do you any more VPN brands that can provide a Philippine IP address from abroad? Tell us what it is in the comment section below.