If you’re Canadian, into movies and shows, as well as streaming online, then you’re definitely aware of CraveTV (if not a subscriber already). The service was launched back in 2014 and has gained a lot of popularity ever since. By the end of 2018, Crave had approximately 2.3 million subscribers, locally. But what about the millions abroad? Those who can’t access the channel due to it being geo-restricted. Well, the subscribers’ number is going to increase internationally once you’re done with this guide. Here’s how you can watch Crave anywhere in the world.
What’s Up With Crave?
As I mentioned above, Crave TV has become widely popular in the Canadian region. That’s after it rebranded to Crave and provided additional subscription tiers that include HBO and Starz content.
It is the only subscription service in Canada that offers a wide variety of classic TV shows and popular Canadian hits. Not to mention that most importantly, it has exclusive rights to HBO and Showtime.
In my opinion, despite having so many subscription-based platforms out there that can actually scratch the surface, Crave TV is marking its territory. It’s commercial-free and focuses on bringing the best series to viewers. If that doesn’t bring out the best coach potato in you, I don’t know what will.
Subscription Types and Prices
Crave is cheaper than Netflix and the other top cable alternatives. However, the payment options are quite daunting. You can sign up to the service using two methods, either with your TV provider or directly from Crave TV.
If you decide to subscribe through Crave directly, here are your options:
- Crave: Standard package for $9.99/month (Showtime, classic HBO, Crave Originals)
- Movies + HBO: Add-on subscription for an extra $9.99 (US-time HBO content, new Hollywood movies, family and kids movies, six live channels)
- Starz: Another add-on subscription for $5.99/month (Starz Originals, dozens of Hollywood movies, and two live channels)
As for those who have a cable subscription, you should know that pricing may vary depending on your TV provider. I used Bell TV as an example, so if you’re not a customer, don’t stick to those prices:
- Crave: $10/month (Crave Originals, Showtime, and HBO series)
- Movies and Series pack: $20/month (Top films, HBO, Showtime, STARZ, Crave Original and hit TV series)
- Crave + Movies + HBO: $25/month (Biggest movies and series from HBO, Showtime and Crave Original series)
- Premium Movies and Series pack: $37/month (Top Hollywood movies to series from HBO, Showtime, Crave Originals, and STARZ)
- Super Channel: $15/month (A decent selection of movies, critically acclaimed series, sports, and esports)
- Super Écran: $15/month (over 170 films per month, HBO series like Westworld, and Crave Originals)
- Hollywood Suite: $6/month (Movies from the 70s till the 2000s commercial free)
- Canal+ International: $10/month (Well, the title speaks for itself)
Crave App Compatibility
As with most streaming services, you can watch Crave TV on a wide variety of devices and operating systems. You can find the full list below:
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Amazon Fire TV
Crave is Region-Restricted
Despite having one of the richest libraries of TV shows and movies, all of that stays in Canada. Even if you have a valid subscription, once you leave the Canadian border, your access will cease to exist. But how? You see, your geographical location dictates what you can access over the internet.
Streaming services like Crave TV only offer their content to specific viewership, and Crave’s happens to be Canadian. Only those who reside in Canada can get a hold of its rich catalog, i.e., those with a Canadian IP address. If you’re abroad, you’re bound to have a foreign IP address.
Hence, you’ll be blocked on the spot. In case you don’t know what geo-blocking looks like, let me show you. Here’s a couple of geo-error messages you’ll be getting if you try to watch Crave abroad:
- CraveTV can be used anywhere in Canada on your mobile device or computer. It is not available for use outside Canada.
- “It appears there was a problem completing your request. Please refresh this page.”
Here at theVPN.guru, we believe that the internet should be free to all users around the world. That means we don’t tolerate geo-restrictions, which brings us to our main focus for the day – getting CraveTV abroad. Well, it’s possible. Read ahead and find out.
Crave Exclusive to Canada – No More
Since you can’t access Crave in the US, Australia, Germany, and the UK, you need a tool that helps you spoof your online location. Fortunately, one exists, a Virtual Private Network. A VPN is a cybersecurity software that can bypass regional restrictions with a push of a button. All you have to do is connect to a server in the country where the channel is available and you’re done.
You see, a VPN reroutes your traffic through a private tunnel directly to a server in a country of your choosing. Once you establish a connection, your whole data will appear to be coming from that region, marking you as a current resident there. As a result, you get a native IP address and direct access to any website/service exclusive to that area.
For example, in Crave TV’s case, you need to connect to a Canadian server. That will grant you a Canadian IP address, which then tricks Crave into thinking that you’re within its broadcasting area. Finally, you can stream the channel despite being physically abroad.
Need a more comprehensive look? Here’s how you can watch CraveTV outside Canada:
- Pick a VPN provider and subscribe to their service. If you want my recommendations, try ExpressVPN out.
- Visit their website, create an account, and then download their dedicated application on your device.
- Now, activate the VPN client and log in with your credentials.
- Alright, you’re in. Now, connect to a Canadian server.
- Before you proceed, make sure that your VPN connection is active. Double-check using our IP Identifier.
- Finally, launch CraveTV and watch thousands of titles wherever you may be.
Best VPN for CraveTV
Can’t wrap your head around which VPN to choose? Let me help you out. I’ve been reviewing VPNs for a long time now, and so far, ExpressVPN hasn’t failed to deliver in every angle. The provider was founded back in 2009 and is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands. That gives it an advantage when it comes to privacy as it’s outside the reach of the Five-Eyes association.
ExpressVPN grants you access to more than 3000 blazing fast servers in 160 cities across 94 countries, including five in Canada. That’s pretty much enough to access Crave TV and other Canadian-based channels like TSN and CBC.
On the security side, ExpressVPN provides several protocols to work with such as OpenVPN, IPSec & IKEv2, among others. That’s not all, the protocols are all equipped with the best encryption standard that even the United States uses to protect its data – (AES-256).
That’s not all, privacy matters and ExpressVPN doesn’t disappoint customers. If you’re worried about your private information, ExpressVPN protects you from any IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks. Not to mention that it also protects you against malware and viruses.
Furthermore, the VPN comes with a built-in kill switch, which automatically terminates your session if there is any security breach. Add that to no-logging policy, and your all secure when online.
As for the idea of existing alternatives, yes, there are other VPNs to choose from. You can find them in the table below.
CraveTV – What to Expect
The service targets mostly television series, carrying over 10,000 hours of programming on-launch. In case you don’t know what Crave has to offer in terms of content, check out the following list:
- Little Kenny
- America to Me
- After Trek
- White Famous
- Ill Behaviour
- Desus & Mero
- The Affair
- Ray Donovan
- Penny Dreadful
- Big Little Lies
- The Sopranos
Crave TV Anywhere – Final Thoughts
With so much to offer in terms of content, you can’t argue anymore whether if CraveTV is a good rival to Netflix, if not a perfect substitute. The answer is obvious; it is. Canadian Netflix doesn’t offer much, especially not when it comes to premium movies.
On the other hand, Crave is cheaper. So, you pick what suits you better. You now have the means to unblock Crave anywhere in the world. Just get a VPN, connect to a Canadian server, and start streaming Crave in your region. If you need any help, leave a comment, and I’ll get back to you.