What exactly is a VPN? VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It helps protect a company’s important data, or its privacy in general. VPN has become popular among individual users recently, as well. Individuals use VPN, not only for security, but for other reasons as well. VPNs allow individuals to access content that has been “geoblocked”. Geoblocked basically means that the content is not accessible from where you are trying to access it. You can find everything related to VPN explained in this help guide.
VPN Explained – Protect Your Privacy
All of your Internet traffic becomes encrypted when you connect to a VPN server. What this does is it hides your real IP address, so nobody can see, or have access to your Internet activity.
What is a VPN? The protocols, explained.
How a VPN secures your connection is based on the protocol that is used. Each protocol has a different level of security. The most common, secure protocols are as follows.
- Open VPN (most secure),
- IPsec (Internet Protocol Security)
- LT2P (Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol)
- PPTP (Point to Point Tunnelling)
Out of those four Open VPN is most commonly used. Its high level of security makes it the most used among corporate firms.
VPN Explained -Bypass Geoblocks
As mentioned earlier, using a VPN can help you bypass regional restrictions, or geoblocks. Popular streaming channels including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, etc., are not available abroad. By using a VPN server with a U.S. IP address you can access these channels from other countries that may not have access.
VPN’s are popular for accessing torrent websites, also. They allow you to download torrents, without having any of your downloads screened.
People find VPNs useful while at school or work also. They allow you to access websites that are blocked. By connecting to a VPN server you can access these websites while connected to your company, or schools network server.
The best VPN providers
There are a lot of different things that can make a VPN a good one, or a bad one. Here are some characteristics that can make, or break a VPN service.
- Trusted VPN providers will not keep track of your browser history.
- Good VPN services will offer quality speeds. You don’t want to experience buffering while streaming music or videos.
- Another thing to look for is the number of servers they have and the countries they have servers in.
- The VPN provider should offer VPN applications that can be downloaded on Mac, PC, Android, and iOS devices. The apps help make connecting easy.
- Lastly, a good VPN provider should offer 24/7 customer support. In the event you run into problems, you want excellent customer support to help you get reconnected quickly.
After having tested multiple providers, checking speeds, customer service and other characteristics, ExpressVPN has come out to be one of the best VPN providers. They have the best speeds, customer service and they have servers in 100 different places.
VPN Explained – Conclusion
Choosing a reliable VPN Service is imperative to heightening your online security, or even if you just want to have access to geoblocked content. While there are other VPN services out there, investing in a high-quality service is highly recommended.