“Winner winner chicken dinner.” If you’re a fellow gamer and PUBG fanatic, you know the emotional rush you experience when you see this line. It is probably the proudest moment of any PUBG player as they are announced winners of the battle royale. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds took the world by storm ever since its debut in late 2017. It went on to become one of the most popular video games in the industry, winning numerous accolades. But if you think you’re enjoying the game to the fullest, then think again. Using a VPN with the video game will bring forth so many benefits, and you can explore them in this guide. I will also show you which is the best VPN for PUBG.
What Is a VPN?
Before diving into why you would need a VPN for PUBG, let me explain to you what a VPN is. Short for virtual private network, this tool can bypass geographic restrictions while maintaining your online security and privacy.
You see, VPNs have a network of secure servers through which they channel your internet connection. When your traffic goes through one of those servers, it gets encrypted to prevent anyone from seeing your online activity. Furthermore, the VPN will hide your actual IP address and replace it with another one that matches your server’s region. For example, if you connect to an Australian server, you’ll get an Australian IP address.
This entire process will make you appear to be in a region or country of your choice, which allows you to avoid all sorts of geographic restrictions. And because your IP is hidden and your traffic is encrypted, no one will be able to see your online identity or activity.
Why You Need a VPN for Playing PUBG
Alright now that you know a bit more about virtual private networks, you might wonder why would you need one to play PUBG.
PUBG is a video game that’s available anywhere in the world, or so you might think. The truth is that several countries banned the game, citing ‘violence’ and ‘negative health effects’ as the main reasons. But by connecting to another server, you’ll be able to bypass government censorship and play PUBG from anywhere.
- India: India did not impose a nationwide ban on PUBG, but Gujrat, the home state of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, did. In fact, the Gujrat High Court imposed a prison sentence against anyone who plays this video game in public. A bit over the top, right?
- China: China took it even further and applied the ban all over the country. The Online Gaming Ethics Committee said that PUBG contains an excessive amount of violence, adding that it is “hampering with the discipline of the countrymen.“
- Iraq: Just like China, The Iraqi government banned the video game as well “…due to the negative effects caused by some electronic games on the health, culture, and security of Iraqi society, including societal and moral threats to children and youth.”
Stop ISP throttling
If you’re watching too many videos on YouTube or playing an online video game for too long, your internet service provider might decide it’s time for you to rest. How? By slowing down your internet speed.
Of course, your ISP isn’t concerned at all about your physical or mental health. It throttles your internet connection because you’re using high amounts of bandwidth.
However, with a VPN, ISPs won’t be able to see your online activity because your traffic will be encrypted.
Access new servers
If you’ve reached a new PUBG level and the players from your region aren’t much of a challenge for you anymore, then maybe you need to take on some new shooters. After all, you don’t want to be a big fish in a small pond now do you?
Your VPN allows you to connect to a different server of your choice. So if you think the boys and girls in the US are worthy competitors, all you have to do is connect to an American VPN server.
As I mentioned earlier, VPNs encrypt your data and hide your IP address, which does wonders for your online security and privacy. One of those benefits is that they prevent DDoS attacks from flooding your server with botnets and junk requests. This malware uses your IP address to attack, so as long as you have a good VPN service, you’re safe.
Another advantage is that they protect any credit or debit card information that you might use to make game purchases. So the next time you play PUBG on a public WiFi, make sure to connect to your VPN.
How to Install a VPN on Your Device
Getting a VPN is faster than the PUBG airdrop. Just a few click and BAM… It’s on your device.
- Make sure you subscribe to a trustworthy VPN service that offers speed, security, and a large server network. I recommend ExpressVPN.
- If you’re playing PUBG on your smartphone, tablet, PC, or Mac, you can download the VPN app directly from your app store or the provider’s website.
- But if you’re playing on PS4 or Xbox, you need to configure the VPN service on your router manually. That’s because VPNs don’t have dedicated apps for gaming consoles. And don’t worry, your provider will have plenty of setup guides on its website to help you.
- Once the app is installed, open it and sign in.
- Now connect to any server of your choice depending on the region that you prefer. For example, to access an American PUBG server, connect to a US VPN server.
- Enjoy a new and safe PUBG experience.
Best VPN for PUBG
Choosing the right VPN service is almost as difficult as finding good loot, especially if you’re a VPN beginner. But the important thing is always to steer clear of free VPN providers.
Don’t get me started on these brands, I used one of them long ago, and I regretted it ever since. These services will log your traffic and share it with third parties to make money. Moreover, they offer weak encryption protocols, sometimes none, which makes them a terrible pick if you’re concerned about privacy and safety.
That is why I prepared a list of the best VPNs for PUBG to provide you with some help.
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
In my opinion, and from my own experience, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for PUBG. First, it uses the strongest encryption protocols to guarantee your online security and anonymity. Second, it has one of the largest server networks in the industry, which means you can access any server you want. And third, it offers great speed rates, perfect for online gamers like myself.
- 3,000 servers across 94 countries.
- Zero-logs policy.
- Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption.
- Kill switch to cut your connection in case the VPN malfunctions.
- High levels of speed.
- Access to every Netflix catalog.
- Dedicated apps for every major platform.
- Up to five simultaneous device connections.
- Torrenting and P2P support.
- 30-day refund policy.
- 24/7 customer service support available via live chat.
- Pricier than its competition.
Another strong choice to consider is IPVanish, a well-known and reliable brand that offers the best security features. This brand is famous for the top speed levels it offers and should be your number one choice if you have a Kodi device.
- Excellent speed rates.
- no record stored or shared.
- A kill switch.
- Allows P2P activity and torrenting.
- 1,200+ servers in 60 countries.
- Mltiple VPN connection types (IKEv2, OpenVPN, and L2TP/IPsec).
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Doesn’t work with Netflix.
- Only a 7-day refund policy.
NordVPN is famous for the strong security and privacy features it presents for its users. In addition to the military-grade encryption that the other brands on this list provide, this Panama-based provider offers a double VPN feature that encrypts your data two times.
- 5,000 servers in 60+ countries.
- AES 256-encryption.
- Double VPN.
- No-logging policy.
- Free Smart DNS proxy service.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 customer support team.
- Kill switch.
- You might experience some slow servers.
And last but not least on my list is BulletVPN. But that doesn’t make it any less of a reliable choice than the other brands that are mentioned. In fact, this provider does an excellent job when it comes to maintaining your security and privacy. it also promises ‘blazing fast speeds.’ Its only disadvantage is its small server network.
- Free Smart DNS proxy.
- Several VPN protocols (including OpenVPN).
- A kill switch.
- AES 256-bit encryption.
- Fast servers.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- Live chat feature.
- Only 52 servers in 30 countries.
PUBG Kill Streak
So tell me PUBG fans, how good are you? This guy didn’t get his ‘chicken dinner,’ but that was some streak, right?
Best VPN for PUBG – Final Words
Whether on PC, smartphone, or PS4 or Xbox, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has become one of the best and most popular video games. It won the “Best Multiplayer Game” at The Game Awards 2017, in addition to the “Best Multiplayer Game” and “PC Game of the Year” at the 35th Golden Joystick Awards. But to take full advantage of the game, you have to use one of the above VPN services with it.
Do you use a VPN when you play PUBG? Tell us which one and why in the comment section below.