An Internet Protocol address, better known as IP address, is an identification number given to your device when you go online. It helps the internet determine who the user is and where he’s from. So if you love your privacy, you’ll hate the IP address. And who doesn’t like privacy? Fortunately though, there is a way to hide it.
In this guide, we will show you how a VPN can help you conceal your IP address on Windows PC, and enjoy web browsing anonymously.
Reasons to Hide Your IP Address
IP addresses help web hosts determine the identity and location of internet users. Through it, your online destination can see where you’re from and track your browsing activity. That is why it is important to mask your IP address.
But privacy isn’t the only benefit that you’ll get when you hide your IP address. An undetectable IP brings a wealth of advantages to the table, including:
- Online anonymity: No one will be able to monitor your traffic, not even government surveillance or your ISP.
- Access to blocked content: You’ll be able to bypass government censorship in countries with limited access to the internet like China and North Korea.
- Access to streaming channels: Popular streaming services like Netflix or Hulu use geolocation to block you if you live outside the coverage zone. But they won’t be able to block their content after you hide your IP address.
- Limitless internet access at school or work: You can enjoy apps like YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook.
- Zero-logging: Prevent search engines like Google from keeping logs of your queries and data.
- Unlimited and secure torrenting: The movies, series, or songs you download will remain hidden and untraceable.
- Access to VoIP services: Some countries like the UAE ban VoIP services such as Skype and WhatsApp Calling. But you can unblock these apps if you conceal your IP.
- Public WiFi security: Concealing your IP will protect you from hackers who might be lurking on public WiFi connections.
- Better deals when shopping online: Hiding your IP address allows you to compare prices from different regions.
How to Mask Your IP Address on Windows with VPN
Now that we’ve highlighted the benefits of hiding your IP address, time for us to show you how to do it. The best method is to use a virtual private network, or VPN.
A VPN is a software that helps you spoof your location by connecting you to a server from a different location. Furthermore, it hides your IP address and replaces it with another one from a region of your choice. This will give you access to any geo-blocked website like HBO, Hulu, ESPN, BT Sport and more.
Also, a virtual private network encrypts your data, meaning that no one will be able to monitor you traffic, not even your ISP.
Moreover, you could use a VPN to make secure online activities, especially when it comes to banking. VPNs give you access to banking services that are usually blocked outside your home country. They also allow you to monitor your banking activity safely and privately.
VPNs have so many advantages that they can offer for users, which is why you have to get one. Simply follow the steps below and you’re all set:
- Choose a VPN provider like ExpressVPN for example.
- Download and install the VPN app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- Log in and launch the service.
- Connect to any server that appears on your device.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Congrats! You can now browse the internet anonymously.
Best VPNs to Hide IP Address on Windows
There are a lot of VPN providers in today’s market, but the pick of the bunch has to be ExpressVPN. I personally use this brand whenever I want to go online, knowing that all my data will be safe, and that no one can monitor my activity. It is the best if you want to hide your IP address on Windows or any other platform.
ExpressVPN has much more features under its sleeves, like:
- 160 server locations: The company has a broad network of over 1,000 servers in 160 locations all over the world.
- AES 256-bit encryption: A military-grade encryption protocol that allows you to surf the internet anonymously. No one will be able to monitor your data, not even your ISP.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN does not log traffic, so no one trace anything back to you.
- High compatibility: You can install it on almost every operating system, platform, and device, including smart TVs, gaming consoles, and routers.
For more info about ExpressVPN, check out the ExpressVPN Review 2019.
And if you’d like to consider more options before making up your mind, the list below features the best alternatives:
How to Conceal Your IP Address on Windows PC – Final Words
IP addresses can invade so much of your privacy. It helps web hosts determine your location and identity, as well as track your online activity. This alone should offer some food for thought about why you should hide your IP address on Windows PC. So why stay vulnerable to online hazards and privacy invasions? Get a VPN, hide your IP, and keep your Windows PC safe and anonymous.