The 2019 French Open, a.k.a. Roland Garros, will soon be upon us, and tennis fans are already buzzing with excitement. The tournament, one of four Grand Slams, will take place from 26 May till 9 June at the Stade Roland-Garros in Paris. And for those watching from home, you can catch the games live on several channels. However, you should keep in mind that all broadcasters are geo-blocked outside their respective regions.
But if you live outside those regions, don’t worry. In this article, we will show you how to bypass geo-restrictions using VPNs and Smart DNS proxies.
Channels Broadcasting the 2019 French Open
Only a handful of channels will air the 2019 Roland Garros, and they are:
- FranceTV (Free, France)
- ESPN (USA)
- NBC Sports (USA)
- iTV (Free, UK)
- Eurosport (UK, EU)
- TSN (Canada)
- Sky NZ (New Zealand)
- BeIN Sports (Middle East)
- SuperSport (South Africa)
- Fox Sports (Australia)
- Hotstar (India)
- Tennis Channel
Now, each channel will broadcast the French Open in its respective region. So if you live outside those areas, or would like to watch the tournament in your native tongue from abroad, you can’t. Unless, of course, you get a VPN or Smart DNS proxy.
How to Watch the 2019 Roland Garros with VPN
Copyright issues will prevent the above channels from streaming the 2019 French Open outside their respective coverage zones. Try to access iTV or ESPN for example from abroad, and a location error message will appear on your screen.
That’s because your IP address gives away your location to the World Wide Web. If the streaming channels see that you are not within their territories, they will block you.
Therefore, you need a little something called the virtual private network. This tool can change your geographic position by redirecting your internet connection to a server of your choice. Also, it replaces your original IP address with another one from the region that you selected. This will trick websites to think that you are inside their coverage zone and give you access to their content.
Simply put, if you want to watch Roland Garros on ESPN or NBC Sports, all you have to do is connect to an American server. Your new US IP address will take care of the rest.
The following steps will show you how to do it:
- Subscribe to a good VPN service with a large server network like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device. You can also install it on routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
- Sign in and connect to a server from the US, the UK, or any of the countries mentioned above.
- Visit WhatIsMyIP.network to make sure you have a new IP address.
- See who will lift the 2019 French Open trophy.
Best VPNs to Stream 2019 French Open
There are a lot of VPN providers to choose from in today’s market. But that doesn’t mean they are all trustworthy or efficient. If you’re new to the VPN world, we recommend you stick with ExpressVPN, one of the best brands to bypass geo-blocks.
The service offers a wealth of features, including:
- A Large server network: The company has more than 1,000 servers in 94 countries, and the countries listed above are included. This means you can stream the 2019 Roland Garros on any channel wherever you are.
- Netflix compatibility: ExpressVPN is one of very few brands that still have access to every Netflix library, including the US.
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: You can use ExpressVPN to upload/download any file you want on torrent websites, and swiftly too.
- Great speed rates: The company offers one of the best speeds in the business, despite using strong encryption. This is a brilliant feature when you’re live tennis matches, as you won’t face buffering issues.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN does not register any of your traffic or data. It clearly says on its website:
“We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user. We work entirely on the basis of shared IPs, meaning that a single IP does not track back to an individual user.”
- AES 256-bit encryption: A military-grade encryption protocol that ensures complete online anonymity. It will protect you from hackers, government snooping, and internet service providers.
Nonetheless, if you’re not totally convinced about ExpressVPN, check out the other elite brands from our list below:
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Bypass Restrictions Using Smart DNS Proxies
Another way to unblock streaming channels is via Smart DNS proxies. These tools can redirect your internet traffic just like a VPN, but they only do so with the URLs that expose your location.
Furthermore, they don’t encrypt your traffic, so your internet speed won’t be affected. However, it could be a major privacy concern because anyone can monitor your data.
Also, Smart DNS proxies don’t change your IP address. This will still give you access to local websites, but it also means that you may not always bypass any geo-block.
Despite a number of weaknesses, Smart DNS proxies are still pretty reliable alternatives for VPNs. If you want to set one up on your device, just follow the below steps.
- Sign up with a Smart DNS service like Unlocator.
- Make sure the service supports one of the above channels.
- Set up Smart DNS on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device. You could also install them on your router, gaming consoles, or Smart TVs.
- Stream any match you want no matter where you are.
2019 French Open – Facts
The French Open, also known as Roland Garros, is one of four major tennis tournaments that take place each year. It is the premier clay court tennis championship event in the world and the second of four annual Grand Slam tournaments.
Rafael Nadal has the most number of titles in the Men’s Singles (11), while retired Christina Evert boasts the most titles in the Women’s Singles. Nadal and Simona Halep are defending champions in their respective categories.
Despite his upper supreme advantage on the clay court, Nadal faces some stern opposition from the likes of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Dominic Thiem. The latter has managed to defeat the King of Clay four times on his preferred surface.
Here is a list of the top male and female contenders for the 2019 French Open
- Rafael Nadal
- Novak Djokovic
- Alexander Zverev
- Dominic Thiem
- Roger Federer
- Kevin Anderson
- Kei Nishikori
- Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Juan Martin Del Potro
- Serena Williams
- Naomi Osaka
- Petra Kvitova
- Simona Halep
- Carla Suarez Navarro
How to Stream 2019 French Open Online – Conclusion
We don’t have to stress how big and prestigious the 2019 French Open is. And with prize money of almost 40 million Euros, It’s no wonder the players take it seriously as well. If you’re a tennis fan, you absolutely shouldn’t miss the tournament. Therefore, hurry up and get a VPN or Smart DNS proxy to bypass online restrictions and watch live matches from anywhere.