UK TV is home to some of the greatest programs. Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Bodyguard, Coronation Street, and Sherlock are just some of the shows that made people fall in love with British television. Add the most entertaining sports to the equation, and you won’t be able to take your eyes off the screen. However, watching UK TV outside the United Kingdom can be quite tricky.
Most channels like BBC, Sky, ITV, and BT Sport are only available within Her Majesty’s territories. But that doesn’t mean you can’t sneak your way in if you’re abroad. In this article, we’ll show you how VPNs and Smart DNS proxies can bypass geo-restrictions.
How to Stream UK TV Channels with VPN
One of the biggest downsides of being an expat is the location error messages that pop on your screen. Every time you try to access a local website from back home, like BBC iPlayer, you discover that the service “only works in the UK” due to copyright reasons. This can be really irritating if you’re trying to watch the latest episode of Bodyguard.
The problem is that your IP address reveals your location to web hosts. If streaming channels see that you are not within the coverage range, they will block you. And that’s where the VPN steps in.
A virtual private network, better known as VPN, is a software that can spoof your location. It allows you to connect to another server from a region of your choice and gives you a new IP address from the country you selected. Therefore, if you connect to a server from Britain for example, the streaming channels will unblock their content because they’ll think that you are in the UK.
All you need to access UK TV channels is to:
- Choose a good VPN provider and sign up. See the list below for recommendations.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- Sign in and connect to a server from the UK.
- Go to WhatIsMyIP.network to see if your IP address has changed.
- Watch your favorite UK programs from anywhere in the world.
Best VPNs to Watch UK TV
There are plenty of trustworthy VPN providers in the market today. The list below features the best-ranked names in the business:
ExpressVPN ranks high among VPN providers thanks to its wide array of excellent features. The company has over 1,000 servers in 160 locations all across the globe. This gives you access to almost any restricted content in the world.
Furthermore, it offers top-notch security and privacy features like AES 256-bit encryption. This military-grade protocol guarantees that no one can monitor your online activity, not even your internet service provider. Additional security specs include split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Also, ExpressVPN does not keep or store your data. It clearly states:
“We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user. We work entirely on the basis of shared IPs, meaning that a single IP does not track back to an individual user.”
Moreover, the brand has complete access to Netflix libraries, including the US version. It also allows full torrenting and P2P activity.
Also, the company has a large network of servers, with over 1,200 servers in 60 countries, most of which are in the US and Europe. Moreover, It offers high levels of speed, so streaming live HD programs shouldn’t be a problem.
Furthermore, the brand allows five simultaneous connections under one account, meaning you can use it on multiple devices at the same time.
Moreover, it has over 5,000 servers in 61 countries, which makes it one of the largest networks in the industry.
Furthermore, NordVPN doesn’t store logs, and since it’s based in Panama, you don’t have to worry about any data retention laws.
The brand is also an official partner of Liverpool FC, meaning it has a strong presence in the UK.
Stream UK TV Channels with Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS proxies share a few similarities with VPNs. They can spoof your location as well by redirecting the URLs that give away your position. As for how to set it up, just follow the below steps:
- Sign up with a Smart DNS service like Unlocator.
- Make sure the service supports UK channels like BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, ITV, and Sky.
- Set up Smart DNS on the device you want to use.
- You could also install them on routers, gaming consoles, or Smart TVs.
- Watch any UK-restricted channel or show from anywhere in the world.
However, there are a few things that you must take into consideration:
- Smart DNS proxies don’t encrypt your traffic: This could be beneficial because your internet speed won’t drop. However, it is a major privacy concern because ISPs and other parties can monitor your activity.
- They also don’t change your IP address: Smart DNS reroutes parts of your traffic in the process, not the whole thing. This means that certain websites can still determine your location and block you. Although, you’ll still have access to your local streaming services.
- Access Hundred of Websites: With Smart DNS, you can get a huge number of channels around the world depending on what the provider supports. For example, Unlocator is able to unblock more than 233 channels in dozens of countries.
- Expand Device Compatibility: VPNs are compatible with limited types of devices, which include iOS, PC, Mac, Android, and FireStick. However, with Smart DNS, you get to bypass regional restrictions on other devices including Smart TVs, PlayStation, Xbox, Chromecast, and Apple TV.
How to Stream UK TV Channels Anywhere – Conclusion
UK television offers some of the best programs in the world of entertainment and sports. It’s easy to see why expats and TV lovers are so fond of it. Therefore, you don’t have to abide by the strict and unfair rules of internet censorship. Just subscribe to a VPN or Smart DNS proxy service to unblock UK TV channels and watch whatever you want, wherever you want.