With a unique proprietary protocol and lots of security tools and features, VyprVPN has cemented its place as one of the primary options for users. People can use it to bypass censorship in nations with totalitarian regimes, or simply to unblock international content around the world.
Golden Frog is VyprVPN’s parent company, and it functions under Swiss jurisdiction. Despite discouraging torrenting activity and keeping some logs for 30 days (at least the company is upfront and transparent about it!), VyprVPN is fast, stable, and has a broad network that includes 700 servers in 70 nations.
The Chameleon protocol is particularly useful, as it applies cutting-edge technologies to help users bypass censorship by scrambling metadata and, therefore, avoiding Deep Packet Inspections (DPI.)
- Servers in 70 nations: VyprVPN has one of the broadest server networks you will see in the industry. The 700 servers are helpful, but the amount is not quite elite, considering there are brands with 3,000 and even 5,000 servers. However, the number of available countries for connection, 70, is indeed impressive.
- AES 256-bit encryption: VyprVPN customers can protect their content with the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, which is used by the FBI and the CIA.
- Chameleon protocol: A proprietary tool that scrambles the user’s metadata to avoid Deep Packet Inspections (DPI.) It is perfect to bypass censorship in countries where online freedom is severely limited.
- VyprVPN Cloud: This feature offers users another security layer when accessing cloud services, with known compatibility with Amazon Web Services, DigitalOcean, and VirtualBox.
- NAT Firewall: By blocking unrequested inbound traffic, a NAT (Network Address Translation) Firewall enhances security levels.
- Full Netflix compatibility: While not all servers work, VyprVPN offers Netflix compatibility, including the chance to unblock the American region.
- VyprDNS: VyprVPN has its own DNS servers to prevent any third parties from being involved in the process. VyprDNS helps protect against potential man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Kill switch: VyprVPN has a kill switch to disable Internet connection in the event of a VPN encryption fail.
- Site filtering: The company blocks malicious sites that can represent a potential threat to its customers. VyprVPN filters and blocks a list of domains that spread malware.
- Proprietary servers: The brand has made it clear that it doesn’t want any third-parties participating in any process. That’s why none of its servers are rented: every one of them is owned by Golden Frog and VyprVPN.
Numerous VPN brands in the market claim to offer an easy-to-use service. And while they may be right sometimes, there aren’t many companies that can match VyprVPN in this particular area.
VyprVPN is very straightforward to install, set up, and use, which is somewhat surprising given the number of features it has to offer. The layout expresses the configurations and menus very clearly, the servers usually connect with no hassle, and the speeds are optimized.
Users can expect stability when using any VyprVPN app. If they are using a public Wi-Fi network, the system will automatically connect to the fastest server available.
The VyprVPN app is compatible with several operating systems, including Windows, Android, routers, Mac, iOS, QNAP, Blackphone, TVs, and Anonabox.
The platforms supported are DD-WRT, OpenWRT, ASUSWRT, Boxee, Synology NAS, and Blackberry.
The Windows app has a kill switch, and the option to connect to the fastest VPN server location available. It also automatically activates when detecting an untrusted Wi-Fi network, and it has the Chameleon technology. The available protocols are PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN (160-bit and 256-bit), and Chameleon. The client supports Windows Vista and newer versions, with automatic or manual port selection for UDP traffic.
The Android app manages and customizes VPN connection behavior on a per-app basis to enhance control. It also offers the Fastest Server Selection feature to connect to the speediest location available. The supported protocols are OpenVPN (160-bit and 256-bit) and Chameleon.
The iOS app is compatible with iPhone and iPads. The default protocol is IPsec/IKEv2, and it supports iOS 9 and higher. There is no port selection available.
Privacy and security
VyprVPN has a notable caveat: it keeps some connection data for 30 days. The logged information includes connection start-and-stop time, the total number of bytes used, and the VyprVPN IP address that the user implements.
The company is at least transparent about it, and is also quite clear when it comes to the things it doesn’t do. The company:
- Does not log a user’s traffic or the content of any communications
- Does not perform deep packet inspection of your traffic, except where requested by the customer for firewall purposes.
- Does not perform shallow packet inspection of your traffic, except where requested by the customer for firewall purposes.
- Does not discriminate against devices, protocols, or applications. Golden Frog is network neutral.
- Does not throttle your Internet connection.
- Does not rate limit Internet connection.
VyprVPN VPN functions under Swiss jurisdiction, a neutral zone with no data retention laws to speak of. When it comes to security and content protection, the brand excels: it has AES 256-bit encryption, OpenVPN, a kill switch, protection from DNS, IP, and WebRTC leaks, a NAT Firewall, the Chameleon protocol, and no third-party servers or DNS.
VyprVPN has an extensive network that includes more than 700 servers in 70 nations around the world. There are over 200,000 IP addresses available for users. Naturally, the United States and Europe are the best-covered areas.
VyprVPN has servers in nearly all continents, including:
- North America (Canada, Mexico, and the United States).
- Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, and the Marshall Islands).
- Africa (Algeria, Egypt).
- Europe (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Luxembourg, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK, and Ukraine).
- Central America (Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador).
- South America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Uruguay).
- Asia (Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam).
- Middle East (Bahrain, Israel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE).
As far as operating systems go, you can install VyprVPN on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux. Additionally, it can run on routers, Apple TV, Android TV, Blackberry, DD-WRT, Boxee, OpenELEC, QNAP, Blackphone, Chromebooks, Anonabox, and Synology NAS.
Installation and Setup
The installation and setup process is very simple. Users need to download the right client or app, execute the file, and then follow the instructions that the system itself will provide.
The installation should be completed in no time, after which users can launch the VPN app and press the blue button that says “Connect.” The interface will show customers where to pick their location.
VyprVPN has several exciting options when it comes to protocols. For starters, it offers OpenVPN as the default option in most operating systems (save for iOS,) with PPTP, IPSec, and L2TP also available.
However, the most enticing alternative remains the Chameleon tool. It is a native protocol created and developed by Golden Frog and VyprVPN, and is perfect for countries with heavy censorship such as China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran.
The Chameleon protocol scrambles the user’s metadata and therefore makes it extremely difficult to determine that someone is using a VPN. It helps clients avoid government surveillance, throttling, or sanctions. Chameleon effectively helps customers avoid having their traffic sniffed by Deep Packet Inspections.
Pricing and Payment Options
VyprVPN offers a standard plan that costs $9.95 per month. It includes three simultaneous connections and some basic features. However, by signing up for the whole year, users would end up paying $60, or the equivalent of $5 per month.
The other plan is Premium. Its price is currently $12.95, and it comes with five simultaneous connections, VyprVPN Cloud, and the Chameleon Protocol. Again, choosing the yearly payment option provides an enticing discount: customers would pay a yearly-fee of $80, or $6.67 per 30 days.
Payment methods include PayPal, AliPay, and the most widely used credit cards, which are Discover, American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. There is no Bitcoin option available, though. A three-day free trial sweetens the pot.
Help and Support
In the past, getting in touch with VyprVPN’s customer service was a pain. Now, the response time is very quick.
- Ticket support: Whereas the ticket support used to take almost a full day for a response, the situation has changed. VyprVPN agents will now get in touch with you in less than an hour.
- Live chat: VyprVPN has also added 24/7 support, in the form of a live chat feature for more immediate communication.
- Setup articles: VyprVPN has over 50 tutorials, guides, and manuals to install the service on platforms such as Blackberry, DD-WRT, Boxee, OpenELEC, QNAP, Blackphone, Chromebooks, Linux, Android TV, Apple TV, Anonabox, and Synology NAS; plus the usual operating systems.
Other VPN Providers
VyprVPN is one of the best VPN providers in the business, but if you’re still not convinced, you can check out other efficient alternatives in the list below:
Pros in a Nutshell:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- NAT Firewall
- A kill switch
- Three-day free trial
- VyprVPN Cloud
- A broad network of servers present in 70 nations
- Compatible with Netflix (including the US library)
- Several protocols available, including the excellent Chameleon and OpenVPN
- Highly compatible
- Swiss jurisdiction
- Very easy to use
Cons in a Nutshell:
- No phone support
- It keeps some logs for up to a month
- No refunds
- No Bitcoin payment
- Torrenting is discouraged
- Pricey (Premium plan)
In conclusion, VyprVPN is a highly efficient VPN brand that is perfect for unblocking content and bypassing censorship, thanks to its fantastic Chameleon protocol. This feature scrambles users’ metadata to avoid DPIs.
With 700 servers in 70 nations, high speeds, Netflix compatibility, and a myriad of security features, VyprVPN amasses a sizable community of fans worldwide. Keep in mind, however, that it discourages torrenting, it keeps some logs for a month, and the Premium plan is costlier than most of the competition.
Thanks to an innovative proprietary protocol, AES 256-bit encryption, a NAT Firewall, and no leak problems, VyprVPN is a secure and reliable VPN, especially because it is very upfront about the fact that it keeps some connection logs for up to 30 days (to avoid unwanted surprises.) The pros far outweigh the cons, so if you decide to use this Swiss-based brand, we give you our blessing.