Time for American theatre’s biggest ceremony night. The 2019 Tony Awards will take place on June 9 at Radio City Music Hall in New York, with James Corden hosting the event. The 73rd edition will recognize excellence in live Broadway theatre over the past year and features 26 categories of awards. CBS will broadcast the event in the US, while a handful of other channels will air it abroad. Unfortunately, though, they are all unavailable outside their respective regions.
But in this article, we’ll show you how to unblock CBS and every other channel with a VPN so that you can see your favorite theatre performers.
2019 Tony Awards – Official Broadcasters
You can watch the 2019 Tony Awards online on several streaming services, including:
- CBS (USA)
- Channel 4 (UK)
- CTV (Canada)
- FilmAndArts.TV (Latin America)
- Channel 7 (Australia)
- Sky NZ (New Zealand)
However, keep in mind that due to licensing agreements, these channels can only broadcast the event inside their respective regions. So if you live outside those borders, get ready to see something like this: “Oops! This video is not available in your country.”
And if you’re wondering how the heck can these websites determine your location, you might want to check your IP address. This numerical label that is assigned to your device reveals your location to the online world. As a result, once these channels find out that you are outside their coverage zone, they’ll slam the door in your face. Pretty dramatic, right?
But fret not Broadway lovers, you can still find a way past all that with a VPN.
How to Stream the 2019 Tony Awards with a VPN
Before I show you how to unblock the channels and watch the 2019 Tony Awards, let me tell you how a VPN works. A virtual private network is a tool that can spoof your geographic position. It redirects your internet traffic to a foreign network of your choice, then gives you a new IP address from the region that you selected. This will trick web hosts to think that you are inside their viewing area, and they’ll grant you safe passage to their content.
So basically, a VPN allows you to switch to any server you want and gives you a new IP accordingly. This means that you can unblock any of these channels and watch the awards from anywhere.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a good VPN service. See the list below for recommendations.
- Download and install the app on your device. You’ll find that well-known brands are compatible with most platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can also install them on routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
- Sign in and connect to a server from the US if you want to watch the Tony Awards on CBS. You can choose other countries if you prefer a different service.
- Go to WhatIsMyIP.network to see if your IP address has changed.
- See who will claim the biggest honors in American theatre this year.
Best VPNs to Bypass Geo-blocks
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs in the industry and I strongly recommend that you use it. I’ve tried it myself to watch my favorite programs while I was abroad and the results were mind-blowing. The service didn’t just help me unblock websites, it also offered:
- Online protection: The company uses strong security and privacy features like AES-256 bit encryption. This protocol ensures that no one can monitor your activity, not even your internet service provider. Also, it provides a kill switch, split tunneling, and DNS leak protection. In addition to all of that, ExpressVPN follows a strict no-logging policy, which states: “We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user.”
- Vast server network: ExpressVPN has a large network of over 1,000 servers in 94 countries, including the ones I listed earlier. This means that you can avoid all sorts of online restrictions and access any website from anywhere.
- Access to blocked websites: A large server network and strong security and privacy features are perfect when you are in places like China and North Korea. Therefore, if your government blocked certain websites for whatever reasons, you can avoid strict censorship and safely unblock these apps.
- Access to Netflix and torrent websites: Enjoy any Netflix library, including the US version. Moreover, you can engage in full torrenting and file-sharing activity while staying safe from legal action from copyright holders.
- Fast streaming: The company also has one of the best speeds in the industry, which makes it perfect for streaming live programs in full HD.
However, if you’re not too fond of this service, there are other providers you can check out. That is why we prepared a list of elite alternatives:
About 2019 Tony Awards
As I mentioned earlier, the 73rd Tony Awards will take place on June 9 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. James Corden will serve as host. The ceremony will feature 26 categories of awards, along with several other special awards. Rosemary Harris, Terrence McNally, and Harold Wheeler will receive the non-competitive Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre.
Hadestown received 14 nominations, the most of any production of the season, followed by Ain’t Too Proud with 12, and Tootsie with 11. The plays The Ferryman and To Kill a Mockingbird each received nine nominations.
The awards are named after Antoinette “Tony” Perry, co-founder of the American Theatre Wing.
As for the most important categories, here are the nominations:
- Choir Boy
- The Ferryman
- Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
- What the Constitution Means to Me
- Ain’t Too Proud
- The Prom
Best Revival of a Play
- All My Sons
- The Boys in the Band
- Burn This
- Torch Song
- The Waverly Gallery
Best Revival of a Musical
- Kiss Me, Kate
Best Leading Actor (Play)
- Paddy Considine – The Ferryman as Quinn Carney
- Bryan Cranston – Network as Howard Beale
- Jeff Daniels – To Kill a Mockingbird as Atticus Finch
- Adam Driver – Burn This as Pale
- Jeremy Pope – Choir Boy as Pharus Jonathan Young
Best Leading Actress (Play)
- Annette Bening – All My Sons as Kate Keller
- Laura Donnelly – The Ferryman as Caitlin Carney
- Elaine May – The Waverly Gallery as Gladys Green
- Janet McTeer – Bernhardt/Hamlet as Sarah Bernhardt
- Laurie Metcalf – Hillary and Clinton as Hillary
- Heidi Schreck – What the Constitution Means to Me as Heidi Schreck
Best Direction of a Play
- Rupert Goold – Ink
- Sam Mendes – The Ferryman
- Bartlett Sher – To Kill a Mockingbird
- Ivo van Hove – Network
- George C. Wolfe – Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Best Direction of a Musical
- Rachel Chavkin – Hadestown
- Scott Ellis – Tootsie
- Daniel Fish – Oklahoma!
- Des McAnuff – Ain’t Too Proud
- Casey Nicholaw – The Prom
Stream 2019 Tony Awards Online – Conclusion
The Tony Awards are the biggest honor for anyone involved with theater. Writers, producers, directors, actors, and actresses work days and nights to get recognized by the American Theatre Wing and The Broadway League. A lot of people watch the ceremony live from home, and if you’re one of them but you live abroad, you need to get a VPN.