YouTube is one of the most popular platforms in the world, with over one billion users worldwide. But not everyone has the same access to content on YouTube. Everyone has encountered at some point a “Video unavailable” here, or a “The uploader has not made this video available in your country” there. Some places like schools even block YouTube altogether. If that’s why you’re here than worry not, We have the perfect solution.
In this guide, we will show you how to unblock YouTube at school with a VPN, so that you can enjoy your favorite videos during your breaks.
Why Is YouTube Blocked at School?
The network administrator at your school blocks YouTube using a firewall. This still gives you access to the internet, but the administrator chooses which content you can access.
Schools give several reasons to why they block YouTube. First, they don’t want students to view any inappropriate content; and second, they don’t want them to get distracted. Also, schools seek to preserve network bandwidth and limit internet consumption as much as possible.
So you could argue that blocking YouTube serves the best interests of schools and students alike. But that doesn’t have to be the case.
Students should be able to enjoy their favorite videos and listen to music in their free time. Furthermore, YouTube can be quite educational. That’s why you don’t have to put up with such online restrictions and unblock YouTube using a VPN.
How to Access YouTube at School Using a VPN
You can bypass the network administrator’s firewall at your school using a virtual private network, also known as a VPN. This baby allows you to connect to a server in a different location. It changes the public IP address that you’re using and replaces it with another one from a different server. This will make you appear as if you were surfing the internet from outside your school where YouTube isn’t blocked.
VPNs also encrypt your traffic, so you’ll be able to watch YouTube videos anonymously. Your school can’t monitor your traffic nor trace anything back to you.
See how simple it is. Just follow the below steps to get a VPN:
- Sign up with a VPN provider. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- Sign in and launch the app.
- Connect to any different server.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Enjoy YouTube.
Best VPNs to Unblock YouTube
I will provide you with a list of the best VPN providers in case you’re not too familiar with the VPN market. As I mentioned earlier, I recommend you use ExpressVPN. I’ve tried a number of brands over the past few years, and I can honestly say that this provider is the best when it comes to unblocking restricted content. It offers features that very few other companies can match, including:
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: ExpressVPN allows full P2P file-sharing activity, so you can download any movie or song you like just like that.
- Full Netflix compatibility: You can watch any Netflix library you’d like, including the US version.
- AES 256-bit encryption: This is a military-grade encryption protocol. You can surf the internet anonymously and no one will be able to monitor your data.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN does not log traffic, so no one trace anything back to you.
- Highly-compatible: You can install the app on vast majority of operating systems, platforms, and devices. This includes Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS, in addition to routers, consoles, Chromebook, Windows phones, Apple TV, Fire TV, Smart TV, PlayStation, Android TV box, and Blackberry. The service also has extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
You can read the full review of ExpressVPN by clicking here.
But if you’re not too impressed with ExpressVPN, and you think there is a better VPN match for you out there, check out the list below for top alternatives:
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Best Smart DNS Proxy to Unblock YouTube
A virtual private network isn’t the only tool you could use to unblock YouTube. You could also try a Smart DNS Proxy.
But let me warn you that Smart DNS proxies only reroute the URLs that might expose your location. This means that they might work perfectly fine for certain websites, but might fail in unblocking others. Also, they do not hide your IP address, nor do they encrypt your traffic.
Anyway, if you’re still interested in using a Smart DNS Proxy, here’s how you get one:
- Sign up with a Smart DNS service like Unlocator.
- Set up Smart DNS on your device.
- You could also set up Smart DNS on your router, gaming consoles, or Smart TVs.
- Unblock YouTube and enjoy the show.
How to Access YouTube at School – Final Words
Blocked access to popular websites like YouTube is very frustrating. Believe me I know. Schools have been using this policy ever since YouTube became such a popular platform. Luckily, I discovered this great tool called VPN, tried it, and it worked like a charm. You could do the same. Get a VPN and gain access to YouTube no matter where you are, even at school.