Everybody knows that Malaysia is a top tourist destination. From museums and religious sites to theme parks and enchanting islands, the tiny country has something for everyone. But what most people don’t know is that Malaysia has a large expat community living abroad. And these guys will find it hard to access online content from back home without a Malaysian IP address.
In the guide below, we will show you how to get a Malaysian IP address using a VPN, so that you can visit any local website you like.
How to Get a Malaysian IP Address with VPN
Malaysian nationals working or studying abroad would have surely noticed by now that access to local online content is limited. Streaming channels, banking services, and even news websites can all be subject to geo-blocks due to copyright or security reasons.
The only way to unblock these web destinations is by using a Malaysian IP address. Therefore, you’ll need a virtual private network, or VPN.
Web hosts use IP addresses to determine your online identity and geographic location. You need a tool to trick Malaysian websites into thinking that you’re still inside the country. A VPN uses software that can spoof your actual location by rerouting your internet connection to a server of your choice. It also hides your actual IP address and replaces it with a different one from another region.
So basically, all you have to do is connect to a Malaysian server to gain access to local content. Pretty simple stuff.
If you’re still a bit confused with all the technicalities, follow the steps below and you’re all set:
- Choose a VPN provider and create an account. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Sign in and launch the app
- Connect to a server from Malaysia.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Visit any Malaysian website from anywhere in the world.
Best VPNs to Get a Malaysian IP Address
As cyber threats continue to grow, new VPN providers emerge every day. But that doesn’t mean they are all trustworthy and efficient. If you want my advice, subscribe to ExpressVPN. I’ve tried a number of VPN brands throughout my years of travel and living abroad, but the best one to switch IP addresses was by far ExpressVPN.
First, the company has over 1,000 servers in 160 cities around the world, which makes it one of the largest networks in the industry. This guarantees that you can spoof your location to almost anywhere.
Second, it has excellent security and privacy features like a military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. The company also implements a strict no-logging policy. This is perfect for those expats who want to check their banking activity or make transactions.
Third, ExpressVPN offers high levels of speed, which means you should find streaming HD shows quite enjoyable. And with full torrenting and P2P allowance, as well as Netflix compatibility, the brand is simply too good to be true.
Finally, the service is compatible with almost every operating system, platform, and device, including smart TVs, gaming consoles, and routers.
For a full review of the brand, check out ExpressVPN Review 2019.
But if you’d like to take a look at other options before you make up your mind, take a look at these other high-ranked alternatives below:
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
More VPN Benefits
VPNs don’t just hide your location and change your IP address. They have a host of other benefits that make them simply indispensable, including:
- Privacy protection: All your data is encrypted when you use a VPN. Even your Internet Service Provider won’t be able to see your internet activity.
- Cyber security enhancement: VPNs protect you from various cyber threats like hackers on public WiFi networks.
- Safe downloads: VPNs protect you from legal action when you download movies, TV shows, and songs using torrents.
- Bypassing blocked content: you can use a VPN to get around censorship by redirecting your traffic to a server in another country.
Other Advantages for Malaysian IP Address
Switching to a Malaysian IP address can bring so many benefits to the table, not just for expats or students living abroad, but for anyone. These benefits include:
- Unblock Iflix, Viu, Tonton or other local streaming channels.
- Access banking accounts and services.
- Book cheaper flight tickets.
- Compare prices when shopping online.
- Browse the internet safely and anonymously.
- Learn more about the several cultures in Malaysia.
- Learn the language by watching local shows.
- Gain access to VoIP services like Skype if you live in countries like the UAE.
How to Get a Malaysian IP Address Anywhere – Conclusion
Malaysian expats and nationalists living abroad now know the importance of switching to a Malaysian IP address. Staying away from home can be tough on anyone. But watching your favorite local shows and keeping track of everything from back home can help ease the pain. So get yourselves a VPN, switch to a Malaysian server, and never miss a thing.