Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a. Count Dracula in folk stories, used scare tactics to strike fear in the heart of his opponents. Hundreds of years later, his legacy lives on as one of Romania’s greatest rulers. Therefore, if you’re a Romanian expat who can’t access local websites from abroad, then you must follow suit. And no, I don’t mean you should start impaling people, I just mean that you shouldn’t take no for an answer. In this article, we’ll show you how a VPN can help you switch to a Romanian IP address no matter where you are.
Romanian Websites Unavailable Abroad
Whether you’re living overseas for work, studying, or simply on vacation, gaining access to certain local websites can be difficult. Streaming channels, banking services, and other pages are often blocked due to copyright or security reasons.
That’s because your IP address reveals your location to the internet. One look at your device’s numerical label and web hosts can determine where you are. So if you’re anywhere outside the coverage zone, these websites will lock you out.
Therefore, you need a VPN to help you switch to a Romanian IP address.
What is a VPN?
A virtual private network, or VPN for short, is a tool that can spoof your geographic location. It reroutes your internet traffic to a foreign network of your choice and gives you a new IP address from the region that you selected. Simply put, a VPN grants you a Romanian IP address as soon as you connect to a Romanian server.
As a result, you’ll appear as if you were inside the country, and you’ll have access to any restricted local content.
But VPNs have so much more up their sleeves. They also allow you to:
- Protect your privacy: All your data is encrypted when you use a VPN. Even your Internet Service Provider won’t be able to see your internet activity.
- Improve your cybersecurity: VPNs protect you from various cyber threats like hackers on public WiFi networks.
- Download safely: VPNs protect you from legal threats from copyright holders when you download files like movies and TV shows using torrents.
- Bypass blocked content: you can use a VPN to get around censorship by rerouting your traffic through a server in another country.
- Save money: You can save money while shopping if you appear to be using an IP address of a country where your items are located.
How to Get a Romanian IP Address with VPN – Steps
So as you can see, a VPN has a lot of benefits. And in case you still can’t fully understand how to get a Romanian IP address, here’s what you need to do:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN service with a presence in Romania. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the app on your device. Most VPNs are compatible with the majority of devices and operating systems, including routers, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
- Sign in and connect to a server from Romania.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Access any Romanian website no matter where you are.
Best VPNs to Get a Romanian IP Address
If you want to switch to a foreign IP address, including one from Romania, you have to get the best service. Therefore, we advise you to avoid free VPNs because most of them are inefficient. One, they don’t offer top features. Two, they don’t have large server networks. And three, they’ll probably sell your traffic data to third parties to make profit.
That’s why you should stick to paid providers like ExpressVPN. And if you don’t know which ones are the best, you can check out the table below:
ExpressVPN is my number one pick. I personally use it when I’m abroad to access local channels from my home country and it always works like a charm.
First of all, the company has over 1,000 servers in 94 countries, including Romania. This means that it provides unlimited server and IP switching, so you can unblock any channel you want.
Second, ExpressVPN offers strong security and privacy features for its users such as AES 256-bit encryption. This military-grade protocol guarantees total anonymity from government surveillance or ISPs. Moreover, you can benefit from additional specs like split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. These are all great if you’re trying to access your bank account from outside Romania
Furthermore, the company implements a no-logging policy, clearly saying on its website that: “We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user. We work entirely on the basis of shared IPs, meaning that a single IP does not track back to an individual user.”
As for connection speed, the service has one of the fastest rates in the business, despite using a strong encryption protocol. This means that you can stream live programs in full HD without buffering issues.
And did I mention that you’ll have access to every Netflix library, including the US version? Not to mention that ExpressVPN allows torrenting and file-sharing activity.
IPVanish is another provider that stands out in the VPN industry. Just like ExpressVPN, it offers AES 256-bit encryption and a no-logging policy. Although, the fact that it is under US jurisdiction laws may be a problem for some users. The US is part of the Five Eyes alliance, which means that it may ask for user logs in any investigation. However, the company claims that it does not keep any data or traffic, so maybe you shouldn’t worry.
Also, the company has over 1,200 servers in 60 countries, most of which are in the US and Europe. It offers high levels of speed, so streaming live HD shows shouldn’t be a problem.
Furthermore, the brand allows five simultaneous connections under one account, meaning you can use it on multiple devices at the same time.
For a full review of the brand, check out IPVanish Review 2019.
NordVPN also sits high on the list of best VPNs. The company uses an AES 256-bit encryption as well, a standard among top industry performers. Also, it offers an extra layer of security with the Onion over TOR feature and double encryption.
Moreover, it has over 5,000 servers in 61 countries, which makes it an elite brand in this domain.
Furthermore, NordVPN also doesn’t store logs, and since it’s based in Panama, you don’t have to worry about any data retention.
For a full review of the brand, check out NordVPN Review 2019.
More Romanian IP Address Advantages
Switching to a Romanian IP address has a lot of benefits, not just for expats, but for all internet users as well. Your new IP enables you to:
- Unblock Romanian streaming services like TVR, TV1, TV2, PRO TV, and PRO CINEMATV.
- Access banking accounts and services.
- Make safe online banking transactions.
- Learn more about the Romanian culture and language through exposure to local programs.
- Browse the internet safely and anonymously.
- Compare prices and get better deals on flight tickets, hotel room bookings, and online shopping.
- Gain access to VoIP services like Skype if you live in countries like the UAE.
How to Get a Romanian IP Address from Abroad – Conclusion
The life of an expat can be quite difficult sometimes. To make it easier, it’s better to have something from home with you. That includes local shows and news. Therefore, if you live abroad, you need to get a Romanian IP address. And the only way to do so is via a VPN. So sign up to a well-known service and access any website you want from anywhere in the world.