Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a. Count Dracula in folk stories, used scare tactics to strike fear in the heart of his opponents. Hundreds of years later, his legacy lives on as one of Romania’s greatest rulers. Therefore, if you’re a Romanian expat who can’t access local websites from abroad, then you must follow suit. And no, I don’t mean you should start impaling people, I just mean that you shouldn’t take no for an answer. In this article, we’ll show you how a VPN can help you switch to a Romanian IP address no matter where you are.
Romanian Websites Unavailable Abroad
Whether you’re living overseas for work, studying, or simply on vacation, gaining access to certain local websites can be difficult. Streaming channels, banking services, and other pages are often blocked courtesy of security factors or copyright laws.
Well, in case you didn’t know, your IP address helps these services determine your current location. One look at your device’s numerical label and web hosts can pinpoint where you are. So if you’re anywhere outside the coverage zone, these websites will lock you out.
That’s why you must use a VPN to help you switch to a Romanian IP address.
What is a VPN?
A VPN is a tool that secures your online activities and changes your geo-location the moment you hit connect. With a push of a button, your whole traffic will be rerouted through a secure server in a country of your choosing encrypting it in the process.
Once connected, your public IP address will be cloaked and switched with one from the VPN provider. In other words, you’ll obtain an IP address from any gateway destination the VPN provides.
But that’s not all. VPNs have so much more to offer, you just need to know where to look — hint, below.
- Maintain Private Browsing: As long as you’re online, your ISP can see everything you do. However, since a VPN cloaks your IP address, you get to surf the web anonymously avoiding any monitoring attempts by your ISP.
- Enhanced Security: VPNs come with high-level security protocols that encrypt your data with tough-to-crack AES-256 encryption. That makes it next to impossible for any online threat to target your device.
- Torrent Freely: Are you a fan of torrents? Afraid your IP address would be exposed? Use a VPN and torrent all you want anonymously.
- Access Restricted Content: You get to appear in whatever country the VPN has servers in. That way, you’ll have access to the region’s exclusive online content no matter where you are.
- Get Cheaper Prices: You can purchase flight tickets for a lower price if you connect to the right server. Not only that, but you also get more affordable hotel bookings, merchandise, and online events.
How to Get a Romanian IP Address with VPN – Steps
Just like it’s stated above, a VPN has a lot of benefits. And in case you still can’t fully understand the concept of getting a Romanian IP address abroad, let me give you a step-by-step walkthrough:
- First, look for a credible VPN and subscribe to their service. Wait, let me help you; try ExpressVPN out.
- Now, get their application from your native App Store and install it on your device.
- Log in with your username and password and head over to the server list.
- Connect to a Romanian server and wait a few seconds.
- Check your new connection (IP) on this IP Identifier.
- Access any Romanian website no matter where you are.
Best VPNs to Get a Romanian IP Address
If you want to switch to a foreign IP address, including one from Romania, you have to get the best service. Therefore, we advise you to avoid free VPNs because most of them are inefficient. One, they don’t offer top features. Two, they don’t have large server networks. And three, they’ll probably sell your traffic data to third parties to make a profit.
That’s why you should stick to paid providers like ExpressVPN. And if you don’t know which ones are the best, you can check out the following table:
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Do you consider yourself a privacy enthusiast? Well then, ExpressVPN is all you need. This robust VPN provider cherishes customers’ online security and privacy by using military-grade encryption. It can keep you safe against any online threat that might be roaming around the World Wide Web.
ExpressVPN also offers blazing fast speeds and a global network that covers 94 countries. You’ll find a server or two in Romania so that expats don’t miss a thing back home. In essence, all of its 3000+ servers are well optimized for your streaming habits.
Not only that, but you’ll also be able to unblock significant streaming platforms like US Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, ESPN, and more. Ran into some problems? It’s ok; their customer chat support is available via live chat round the clock.
Other features of ExpressVPN includes world-class security standards. That includes strong AES-256 encryption with OpenVPN protocol that comes as a default. Not to mention their kill switch that terminates your internet connection if a sudden drop in your VPN network occurs.
As for privacy, the VPN keeps no logs of your activities. You don’t have to worry about the government snooping around for your information; there’s nothing to give. Moreover, ExpressVPN offers clean, minimalist apps for Android, iOS, PC, Mac, and Fire Stick, which is excellent, considering it allows up to 5 simultaneous connections.
Did I mention that I personally use it when I’m abroad? It helps me access local channels from my home country and it always works like a charm.
- 2000+ servers in 94 countries.
- Keeps no logs.
- Tough AES 256-bit encryption.
- Easy to use apps.
- Very fast servers.
- Unblocks Netflix easily.
- Kill switch.
- Five concurrent connections.
- Smart DNS.
- Reliable customer support.
- Slightly expensive than others.
- No Free Trial.
IPVanish is another provider that stands out in the VPN industry. Just like ExpressVPN, it offers AES 256-bit encryption and a no-logging policy. Although, the fact that it is under US jurisdiction laws may be a problem for some users. The US is part of the Five Eyes alliance, which means that it may ask for user logs in any investigation. However, the company claims that it does not keep any data or traffic, so maybe you shouldn’t worry.
Also, the company has over 1,200 servers in 60 countries, most of which are in the US and Europe. It offers high levels of speed, so streaming live HD shows shouldn’t be a problem.
Furthermore, the brand allows 10 simultaneous connections under one account, meaning you can use it on multiple devices at the same time.
- 1200+ server in 60 countries.
- Blazing fast servers.
- AES 256-bit encryption.
- Servers in Romania.
- 10 simultaneous connections.
- A Kill switch.
- Several security protocols.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Can’t access Netflix.
- Based in the US.
For a full review of the brand, check out IPVanish Review 2019.
NordVPN also sits high on the list of best VPNs. The company uses an AES 256-bit encryption as well, a standard among top industry performers. Also, it offers an extra layer of security with the Onion over TOR feature and double encryption.
Moreover, it has over 5,000 servers in 61 countries, which makes it an elite brand in this domain.
Furthermore, NordVPN also doesn’t store logs, and since it’s based in Panama, you don’t have to worry about any data retention.
- More than 5000 servers.
- CyberSec technology.
- Double encryption.
- 6 concurrent connections.
- A Kill switch.
- Free Smart DNS.
- 24/7 award winning customer support.
- Some slow servers.
- Vague free trial.
For a full review of the brand, check out NordVPN Review 2019.
More Romanian IP Address Advantages
Switching to a Romanian IP address has a lot of benefits, not just for expats, but for all internet users as well. Your new IP enables you to:
- Unblock Romanian streaming services like TVR, TV1, TV2, PRO TV, and PRO CINEMATV.
- Access banking accounts and services.
- Make safe online banking transactions.
- Learn more about the Romanian culture and language through exposure to local programs.
- Browse the internet safely and anonymously.
- Compare prices and get better deals on flight tickets, hotel room bookings, and online shopping.
- Gain access to VoIP services like Skype if you live in countries like the UAE.
How to Get a Romanian IP Address from Abroad – Conclusion
The life of an expat can be quite difficult sometimes. If you want to make it easier, it’s better to have something from home with you. That includes local shows and news. Therefore, if you live abroad, you need to get a Romanian IP address. And the only way to do so is via a VPN. So sign up to a well-known service and access any website you want from anywhere in the world.