When we think Singapore, tropical islands and a global financial center immediately come to mind. The island-city state is a popular destination for tourists, investors, and expats. But what about those who leave Singapore? What if they want to access their bank accounts or catch the latest updates from abroad? Well, in this case, they’ll need a Singaporean IP address.
And the only way to get one is via VPN. In this guide, we will show you how a VPN can help you switch to a Singaporean IP address from abroad.
How to Get a Singaporean IP Address with VPN
Once you leave Singapore, certain websites immediately become off limits. Streaming channels, banking services, and news websites are all unavailable outside the country due to copyright or security reasons. And the only way to access these websites from abroad is with a Singaporean IP address.
The thing is that your foreign IP reveals your geographic location to the internet. When web hosts see that you are outside their coverage zone, they won’t let you view their content. Therefore, you need a tool like the VPN that can change your IP address.
A virtual private network, or VPN, uses software to spoof your physical location. It allows you to connect to a foreign network of your choice. Then, it hides your original IP address and replaces it with another one from the region that you selected. So all you have to do is connect to a network from Singapore, and the VPN will give you a new Singaporean IP address. This will help you unlock any restricted website from that country.
Just follow the steps below and you’ll be bypassing geo-blocks in no time:
- Sign up to a well-known VPN service. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Make sure the company has servers in Singapore.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device. Most VPNs are also compatible with routers, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
- Sign in and connect to a server from Singapore.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Unblock all Singaporean websites no matter where you are.
Best VPNs to Switch to a Singaporean IP Address
Well, if you want the best, you have to pay to get it. We advise you to avoid free VPN providers because they are not secure or reliable. That’s why we prepared a list of the highest-ranked services in the business. Yes, some of them may be a bit expensive. But if you take into consideration all the benefits you’ll receive, you’ll see that it’s totally worth it.
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
As I mentioned earlier, I strongly recommend you use ExpressVPN. This brand ranks number one on our list thanks to a wide array of excellent features. The company has over 1,000 servers in 160 locations all across the globe, including Singapore. This doesn’t only give you access to Singaporean content, but also any restricted online material.
Furthermore, you’ll enjoy safe and private web browsing no matter where you are. ExpressVPN offers AES 256-bit encryption, a military-grade protocol that guarantees anonymity and protects you from online surveillance and snooping. Additional security specs include split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
Also, ExpressVPN does not keep or store your data. It clearly states:
“We never keep traffic logs, and we also don’t keep any logs that might enable someone to match an IP and timestamp back to a user. We work entirely on the basis of shared IPs, meaning that a single IP does not track back to an individual user.”
Moreover, the brand has complete access to Netflix libraries, including the US version. It also allows full torrenting and P2P activity.
IPVanish claims spot number two. Despite being under strict US jurisdiction laws, the company still has much to offer in terms of features. It follows a no-logging policy, so even if the government came knocking, IPVanish won’t deliver any user information because it does not store them.
Moreover, it uses AES 256-bit encryption, which is a standard among top industry performers.
Also, the company has a large network of servers, with over 1,200 servers in 60 countries. Furthermore, It offers high levels of speed, perfect for streaming shows in full HD.
Additionally, the brand allows five simultaneous connections under one account, meaning you can use it on multiple devices at the same time.
For more information about the service, check out the IPVanish Review 2019.
NordVPN takes home the bronze medal. Just like its counterparts, the Panama-based company uses an AES 256-bit encryption, and a no-logging policy. But it adds additional features like double encryption and Onion over TOR to ensure extra safety.
Moreover, it has over 5,000 servers in 61 countries, which makes it one of the largest networks in the industry.
Furthermore, NordVPN doesn’t store logs, and since it’s based in Panama, you don’t have to worry about any data retention laws.
For a full feature list, check out the NordVPN Review 2019.
Benefits of Singaporean IP Address
Singapore is a global financial center and a business hub. Therefore, expats and businessmen are always coming and going. And these guys must always stay up-to-date with the latest developments. Therefore they need a Singaporean IP address to give them access to local websites.
But a Singaporean IP address isn’t just handy for bypassing geo-blocks. It also has a number of advantages like:
- Secure and private web browsing: A Singaporean IP address protects you from cyber threats and hackers. The encrypted traffic guarantees that no one can monitor your online activity.
- Access to local streaming channels: If you want to watch the latest shows on Toggle, 8TV, or Starhub Go, you have to switch to a Singaporean IP address.
- Access to banking services from abroad: You can safely check your bank accounts and make online transactions.
- Compare prices: Get better deals on flight tickets, hotel room bookings, and online shopping.
- Unblock VoIP services: Countries like the UAE ban Skype and other video call services. But if you switch to a Singaporean IP address, you can unblock them all and stay in touch with family and friends.
- Learn the language and culture: Even though English is commonly used in Singapore, you can still learn the official languages by watching local programs. Also, you can learn about the Singaporean culture.
How to Get a Singaporean IP Address Abroad – Final Thoughts
Whether you’re an expat or someone who has business in the country, getting a Singaporean IP address is a must for you. In fact, anyone can benefit from it, whether for security, privacy, or knowledge. So if you’re interested in getting one, simply follow the steps above to install a VPN and bypass every online restriction.