French TV stations offer some of the best and diverse programs out there, but the pick of the bunch has to be Canal+. The channel is home of blockbusting films, the latest series, and the biggest sports events, all in the language of love. No wonder why the French love it so much. But unfortunately, Canal+ is unavailable outside France. Why? Because it’s geo-blocked.
Copyright reasons have prevented the channel from broadcasting outside French borders. But that doesn’t mean viewers have to miss out on quality French TV. In this guide, we will show you how VPNs and Smart DNS proxies can bypass geo-restrictions and give you access to Canal+.
How to Watch Canal+ Anywhere with VPN
Canal+ offers a wide and rich variety of content. Therefore, if you live outside France, you shouldn’t give up at the first inconvenience that comes your way. Yes, geo-blocks can be quite irritating when they suddenly flash on your screen, but you can avoid them once and for all with a virtual private network (VPN).
You see, your IP address reveals your geographic location to the World Wide Web. Hence, if Canal+ sees that you live outside France, it will block its content.
But a VPN uses software that hides your IP address and replaces it with another one from a region of your choice. It allows you to connect to a French server, for example, making it appear as if you live there. This will trick Canal+ into unblocking its content, and you’ll be free to watch any program you like.
It’s a very handy tool if you want to get past online restrictions. All you have to do to get your hands on a VPN is:
- Sign up with a VPN provider. Check the list below for recommendations.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- Sign in and launch the app.
- connect to a server in France.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Enjoy all the action no matter where you are.
Best VPNs to Watch Canal+
There are plenty of VPN providers in today’s market, but not all of them are secure and efficient. That is why you must choose your service carefully.
I personally recommend ExpressVPN. I use it whenever I want to watch Canal+ or any other blocked channel when I’m abroad, and I have to say it works like a charm. The reason behind the brand’s success is the features that it offers. They include:
- 160 server locations: With over 1,000 servers in 160 different locations, including 94 countries, it is so easy to avoid online restrictions.
- High speeds: ExpressVPN has one of the best speeds in the industry, despite the fact it uses a strong encryption protocol.
- AES 256-bit encryption: A military-grade encryption that allows you to surf the internet anonymously. No one will be able to monitor your data, not even your ISP.
- Strong security levels: In addition to the AES 256-bit encryption, which is the strongest in the market, the company provides split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN does not log traffic, so no one can trace anything back to you.
- Full Netflix compatibility: Very few brands still have access to every Netflix library. ExpressVPN is one of them. You can even use it to watch US Netflix.
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: You can enjoy full P2P file-sharing activity, from movies and series to albums and songs.
- 30-day refund policy: You can ask for your money back within a month after installation if you’re dissatisfied with the service.
For a full review of the brand, check out ExpressVPN Review 2019.
It wouldn’t be fair to just throw one VPN service at you. You should be able to weigh in several options before you choose. Therefore, we’ve rounded up the best providers in the business in the table below:
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Stream Canal+ Using Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS proxies use a somewhat similar method to VPNs for bypassing restricted content. They only reroute the URLs that expose your location, meaning you can still trick web hosts into unblocking their material.
Furthermore, they don’t encrypt your traffic, so your internet speed won’t be affected. However, anyone can monitor your data, which is a major privacy breach.
Also, Smart DNS proxies don’t change your IP address. This will still give you access to local websites, but it also means that you may not always bypass any geo-block.
These tools have their pros and cons, and if you’re still considering using them, here’s what you have to do:
- Sign up with a Smart DNS service like Unlocator.
- Make sure Canal+ is included in their list of supported channels.
- Set up Smart DNS on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- You could also set up Smart DNS on your router, gaming consoles, or Smart TVs.
- Watch Canal+ whenever and wherever.
Canal+ Supported Devices
You can stream Canal+ on the following devices, operating systems, and platforms:
- iPod Touch
- Apple TV
What to Watch on Canal+
Canal+ is home of some of the best French shows, as well as dubbed Hollywood blockbusters and series. These include:
- The Bureau
- Baron Noir
- Les Guignols
- Jour Polaire
- Paris Etc.
- The Tunnel
How to Watch Canal+ Outside France – Conclusion
There’s no questioning the popularity of Canal+ among French nationals and international viewers. The channel has one of the best programs for francophones, including the latest Hollywood films and series, as well as the biggest sports events. That is why it is pivotal that you get a VPN or Smart DNS proxy if you’re living abroad so that you don’t miss any of the action.