Ladies and gentlemen, get your wallets and purses ready because Derby Day is just around the corner. The 2019 Kentucky Derby, one of the most bet-upon horse racing event, will take place this Saturday, May 4th. NBC will broadcast the race, and as you may know, the channel is only available inside US territories. Therefore, if you live anywhere outside the country, you won’t get the chance to see it.
However, there is a way to stream the race from anywhere in the world. In this article, we will show you how to unblock NBC using a VPN so that you don’t miss the Kentucky Derby.
NBC and Geo-blocks
NBC has rights to air the 2019 Kentucky Derby only in the United States. That is why the following location error message will appear on your screen if you try to access the streaming service from abroad: “This content is not available in your location.”
The problem is that your IP address reveals your geographic location to the internet, and that includes NBC. Once the channel sees that you are not within its coverage zone, it will immediately lock you out.
Therefore, you need something to hide your IP address, an area where the VPN shines.
How to Watch 2019 Kentucky Derby Anywhere with VPN
A virtual private network, or VPN for short, is a software that can spoof your geographic location. It redirects your internet connection to another network of your choice. Then, it conceals your original IP address and replaces it with another one from the region that you selected. This will trick web hosts to think that you are inside their coverage area.
So basically, all you have to do to unblock NBC from abroad is connect to an American server. Your new IP will make it appear as if you were a US resident, and NBC will give you access to the 2019 Kentucky Derby.
it’s genius yet so simple. All you have to do is:
- Choose a good VPN provider and sign up. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device. You can also install VPNs on routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
- Sign in and connect to a server from the US.
- Go to WhatIsMyIP.network to see if your IP address has changed.
- See which horse crosses the finish line first.
Why Use ExpressVPN?
Choosing the right VPN service is critical, especially if you’re a new user. For that reason, we recommend you go for the top brands in the industry, and you won’t find a better one than ExpressVPN.
Just take a look at some of its features and you be the judge:
- Large network of servers: The company has over 1,000 servers across 94 countries, including the US. That large server network ensures that you’ll unblock NBC and every other American-restricted channel.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN implements a strict no-logging policy, meaning they don’t store any of your data or traffic.
- AES 256-bit encryption: A military-grade encryption that guarantees complete anonymity from government surveillance, ISPs, and hackers.
- Great speed rates: Despite using strong encryption, ExpressVPN still offers one of the best speeds in the business, which is perfect for streaming live races like the 2019 Kentucky Derby.
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: It also allows full torrenting and P2P file-sharing activity, and protects you from copyright legal action.
- High compatibility: ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS. It is also compatible with routers, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
- 30-day refund policy: You can demand a full refund of the money you paid in case you don’t like the service.
Other VPN Brands to Watch 2019 Kentucky Derby
Still not convinced by ExpressVPN’s features? Or you’d simply like more options to consider? Either way, here is a list of elite alternatives:
IPVanish is a US-based company that offers a strong set of features as well. Though American jurisdiction may be alarming for some, the brand has a no-logging policy, so retention laws shouldn’t be a problem.
Also, just like ExpressVPN, it uses AES-256 bit encryption, the strongest protocol in the market.
Additional benefits include:
- Over 1,200 servers in 60 countries.
- Five simultaneous connections.
- SOCKS5 web proxy.
- Works with TOR.
NordVPN is another top service that makes our list. The Panama-based company also offers AES-256 bit encryption and a no-logging policy.
Its list of features also includes:
- Over 5,400 servers in 60 countries.
- Double VPN for extra security.
- Six simultaneous devices.
- Torrenting allowance.
About 2019 Kentucky Derby
The 2019 Kentucky Derby will take place on 4 May at Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky. Dubbed the ‘Run for the Roses,’ the race is held annually on the first Saturday in May. This year sees an increase in prize money from $2 million to $3million.
The Kentucky Derby usually attracts large attendance, with over 100,000 fans expected to make their way to Churchill Downs.
The 145th edition will feature 20 horses, who qualified for the race by earning points on the 2019 Road to the Kentucky Derby. They are:
|Tacitus||150||William I. Mott||Jose Ortiz|
|Omaha Beach||137.5||Richard E. Mandella||Mike E. Smith|
|Vekoma||110||George Weaver||Javier Castellano|
|Plus Que Parfait||104||Brendan Walsh||Ricardo Santana Jr.|
|Roadster||100||Bob Baffert||Florent Geroux|
|By My Standards||100||Bret Calhoun||Gabriel Saez|
|Maximum Security||100||Jason Servis||Luis Saez|
|Game Winner||85||Bob Baffert||Joel Rosario|
|Code of Honor||74||Claude R. McGaughey||John Velazquez|
|Haikal||70||Kiaran McLaughlin||Rajiv Maragh|
|Improbable||65||Bob Baffert||Irad Ortiz Jr.|
|War of Will||60||Mark Casse||Tyler Gaffalione|
|Long Range Toddy||53.5||Steve Asmussen||Jon Court|
|Tax||52||Danny Gargan||Junior Alvarado|
|Cutting Humor||50||Todd Pletcher||Undecided|
|Win Win Win||50||Michael Trombetta||Julien Pimental|
|Country House||50||William I. Mott||Flavien Prat|
|Gray Magician||41||Peter Miller||undecided|
|Spinoff||40||Todd Pletcher||Manny Franco|
|Master Fencer||Japan Road||Koichi Tsunoda||Julien Leparoux|
How to Stream 2019 Kentucky Derby Anywhere – Conclusion
The Kentucky Derby is one of the most anticipated events in horse-racing. This year’s edition looks to be an exciting one with no clear crowd-favorite so far after upsets in both the Florida Derby and the Santa Anita Derby. Therefore, if you’re a fan of the race, you have to get a VPN and fast if you want to watch the 2019 Kentucky Derby from abroad.