There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and top-quality US television shows. There’s no denying that when it comes to creating films or TV programs, no one comes close to the Americans. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Friends, and The Sopranos are just the tip of an iceberg of global hits. However, streaming these shows from outside the USA can be quite difficult, but it’s not impossible.
Most American TV channels like HBO, Hulu, and Fox are geo-blocked pretty much everywhere. Luckily, there is a way around. In this article, we will show you how to get past these restrictions using VPNs and Smart DNS proxies.
How to Unblock US Channels with VPN
How many times have you tried to access US television channels, only to discover that “the content is not available in your country?” I’ve experienced all sorts of location error messages while I was abroad, which can be quite frustrating when you’re trying to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones season 8.
You see, streaming services can pinpoint your location through your IP address. If your IP reveals that you are outside the coverage area, you won’t gain access to any US television channel. Therefore, you need a tool like the virtual private network (VPN) to help you.
A VPN can spoof your geographic location using software that changes your IP address. It also reroutes your internet connection to a server from a country of your choice, like the United States. This will trick US television channels like Fox, CBS, NBC, and Hulu into thinking you’re within the country. It’s smooth sailing after that because you’ll gain access to any restricted content.
To put it more simply, just follow the below steps:
- Sign up with a VPN provider. See the list below for recommendations.
- Download and install the app on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- You can even install VPNs on routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
- Sign in and connect to a server from the US.
- Double check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIP.network.
- Watch your favorite American shows from anywhere in the world.
Use ExpressVPN to Stream US Television Channels
ExpressVPN offers first-rate features that few other brands in the industry can match. That is why I personally use it to watch my favorite US television channels and programs when I’m abroad. I mean just take a look at some of these services:
- More than 1,000 servers: ExpressVPN has over 1,000 servers in 160 different locations, including 94 countries.
- High levels of speed: Despite using a strong encryption protocol (see next point), the company still has one of the best speeds in the industry.
- AES 256-bit encryption: A military-grade encryption that allows you to surf the internet anonymously. No one will be able to monitor your data, not even your ISP.
- Additional security features: In addition to the AES 256-bit encryption, which is the strongest in the market, the company provides split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
- No-logging policy: ExpressVPN does not keep or store traffic, so no one can trace anything back to you.
- Full Netflix compatibility: Very few brands still have access to every Netflix library. ExpressVPN is one of them. You can even use it to watch US Netflix.
- Torrenting and P2P allowance: You can enjoy full P2P file-sharing activity, from movies and series to albums and songs.
- High compatibility: You can install ExpressVPN on Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS. It is also compatible with routers, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
- 30-day refund policy: If you don’t like the services, you can get your money back hassle-free.
Other VPN Options
Even though ExpressVPN is a top-grade brand, there are other options that you can consider that are just as good. The list below features the best providers in the business.
Stream US Television Channels with Smart DNS Proxies
You could also watch US television channels using Smart DNS proxies. These tools have some similarities to VPNs as they can also hide your location by rerouting the URLs that expose your position.
However, they don’t conceal your IP address or use encryption protocols. This means you’ll still be able to access local online content without sacrificing internet speed. But you’ll also allow web hosts and ISPs to monitor your traffic.
To set up Smart DNS proxies on your device you have to:
- Sign up with a Smart DNS service. We recommend Unlocator.
- Make sure they support American TV channels like HBO or Showtime.
- Install Smart DNS on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device.
- You could also install them on your router, gaming consoles, or Smart TVs.
- Gain access to US television channels from anywhere.
How to Stream US TV Channels when Abroad – Final Words
Well, there you have it. The solution to unlocking US television channels from anywhere in the world is in your hands. Carefully read the benefits of VPNs and Smart DNS proxies, decide which option is better for you, then follow the steps to install any of them on your device. After that, you should be able to watch any American TV show whenever you’re abroad.